• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best Sci-Fi of 2002?

Darren

Amazon.co.uk has a list of what it considers as the Best Sci-Fi of 2002. Any thoughts?

Night Watch
by Terry Pratchett

The Salmon of Doubt
by Douglas Adams, Stephen Fry (Foreword)

The Golden Fool: The Tawny Man Book 2
by Robin Hobb

Redemption Ark (Gollancz S.F.)
by Alastair Reynolds

Abarat
by Clive Barker

The Scar
by China Mieville

Antrax (The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara)
by Terry Brooks

Elfsorrow: Legends of the Raven (Legends of the Raven)
by James Barclay

Effendi: The Second Arabesk (Arabesk)
by Jon Courtenay Grimwood

The Standing Dead
by Ricardo Pinto

Hidden Empire (The Saga of Seven Suns)
by Kevin J. Anderson

The Usurper's Crown (The Isavalta Trilogy)
by Sarah Zettel

Yeah, love Jon Courtney Grimwood - his books are a kind of alternative history cyberpunk, they are fantastic and i really enjoyed them :p Effendi is perhaps not as good as the first in the series (Pashadze i think) but still very good none-the-less!!

Phil

by James Barclay

I have read all of his books and they are really good.

Althou elfsorrow is not one of his strongest books.

His style is simple and easy to read, but does'nt follow the standard formula of classic fantasy. ie Wizard, warrior, wench, weakling (who has a hidden power destiny etc).

Instead he has thought up an interesting world with political infighting between schools of magic. A band of mercenaries who are not immune to death. Definately recommended, but read the initial trilogy first.

Originally posted by Darren Lewis
Amazon.co.uk has a list of what it considers as the Best Sci-Fi of 2002. Any thoughts?

Night Watch
by Terry Pratchett

The Salmon of Doubt
by Douglas Adams, Stephen Fry (Foreword)

The Golden Fool: The Tawny Man Book 2
by Robin Hobb

Redemption Ark (Gollancz S.F.)
by Alastair Reynolds

Abarat
by Clive Barker

The Scar
by China Mieville

Antrax (The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara)
by Terry Brooks

by James Barclay

Effendi: The Second Arabesk (Arabesk)
by Jon Courtenay Grimwood

The Standing Dead
by Ricardo Pinto

Hidden Empire (The Saga of Seven Suns)
by Kevin J. Anderson

The Usurper's Crown (The Isavalta Trilogy)
by Sarah Zettel

I havent read all of these books, but I didnt care much for Elfsorrow. James Barclays doesnt grab my attention.

I did like The Usurpers Crown, a relatively little known author but very good. The last in this series was released at the end of last year :)

The Tawny Man series I felt was the best one I have read so far of Robin Hobb's works. And I do agree The Golden Fool was pretty good.

I think Antrax was pretty enjoyable too. I have just read Jarku Russ and I'm very disappointed. I think Brooks as lost the plot somewhere along the line and this book is pretty lame compared to The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara.

rune

Back