• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best Science Fiction Films

Violanthe

Our newest Top 10 project is the Best Science Fiction Films. If you would like to help out by submitting your list, your opinion is both welcome and appreciated. Lists can also be submitted by email form. If you do submit a list, feel free to post it here too, as a reply to this topic, so that we can all see and discuss your picks.

While we're collecting lists, I'm also interested in your candid opinions:

So what do you think? What are the best Science Fiction Films ever made? Which are the most memorable? Intriguing? Controversial? Whether it's the best special effects or the best stories, what are your favorites? Moreover, what makes a good Science Fiction film? What does it have that separates it from ordinary box office offerings?

I loved all of the following:
Star Wars
Spaceballs (^_^)
The Matrix
Independence Day
Armageddeon
Underworld (this counts, right?)
Donnie Darko (I *hope* this counts)
Gattaca (reminded me of Bradbury a bit)
Jurassic Park
Godzilla (kinda funny; too hard to believe though)
The Stepford Wives (my worst nightmare)

One or more of these may be more Fantasy than Sci-Fi

The Lathe of Heaven - Ursula K. Le Guin (PBS production) is my
all time favorite.

I the novel as well, and there was only one curious omission from the
movie; one sentence actually. She comments that Dr. Haber, the
"Oneirologist" (dream scientist), would periodically pay young men to
satisfy his sexual needs. I am paraphrasing from memory, so pardon
any inaccuracy. Perhaps there was no mention of payment. I read the
book around 1986. But I distinctly remember the sentence, which
appeared in a paragraph that made Dr. Haber sound callous and
unfeeling. Perhaps it was omitted from the movie simply because it
was too sexual for the times, although they do have a bed scene with
George Orr and Heather LeLash. Perhaps the remark was considered
homophobic.

[b}Forbidden Planet[/b] (the first movie to have an all electronic music
sound track)

A.I. (Artificial Intelligence)

Troll (1986) directed by John Carl Buechler

Demon Seed - about a super computer with artificial
intelligence which desires to be born in the flesh, and kidnaps a
female to incubate a synthetic embryo which embodies the
computers consciousness.

Jurassic Park

Is "Wings of Desire" (Himmel uber Berlin) with Peter Faulk
considered Sci-Fi (the American remake is "City of Angels" with
Nicholas Cage)?

The Time Machine (1960) directed by George Pal
(I am pretty sure that is the one I saw on T.V. years ago)

Little Shop of Horrors (1986) Directed by Frank Oz

Beetle Juice (1988) Beetle Juice Directed by Tim Burton

Restaurant at the End of the Universe (BBC/PBS for television)

May I add the Tim Baker Dr. Who episodes?

Oh, yes, and I forgot Matrix

I do not watch movies regularly, but these are what I have seen and found memorable.

Stewart said:
Plan Nine From Outer Space
Seconded.

- Brazil
- Clockwork Orange
- Metropolis (!!!)
- Alien (more of a horror movie, really, but in an SF setting)
- Aliens (more of an action movie, really, but in an SF setting)
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978 version)
- Serenity
- Planet Of The Apes (the original, obviously -
and in a blank DVD case so it doesn't GIVE AWAY THE TWIST ENDING BEFORE YOU EVEN GRAB IT FROM THE SHELF!!! YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP!
)
- Cube (why has almost nobody heard of this film?)

I suppose a lot of David Cronenberg's stuff ("Videodrome", "eXistenZ", "The Fly") could be considered SF, but somehow that feels too limiting. Cronenberg makes Cronenberg movies.

I forgot about "Cube", which is one of my favorites. I think it is "made for television".

I wrote this

http://toosmallforsupernova.org/page003.htm

after watching Cube, because I found it inspiring.

Morality is a game which only makes sense when played by the rules of free will and for high stakes.

The playing field may be as small as a four foot square prison cell, or as large as the surface of the earth or even as geometrically infinitesimal as one's point of view.

Freedom has rules. There is a law of liberty. Even chaos and anarchy have structure and consequences.

This idea has come to me on December 29, 2003, as I awoke from sleep. From where and how does such an idea come to us?

Ideas seem to arise and take shape from the ever-changing and fleeting patterns of thoughts and feelings and moods in the kaleidoscope of consciousness, caught by the snapshot photographer, language, posing for us only once in prose, and never to reappear again if we do not pause to write them down.

That prose is pose and pause gives us pause for thought.

Who or what has set this kaleidoscope in motion?

It is the movie "Cube" which served for me as a metaphor for the genesis of ideas from thoughts.

The cube was a prison and a puzzle of thousands of rooms constantly changing in position. We do not know how we got there, in a room in that cube. We do not know why we are there. The cube has no purpose, but our decisions and choices weave the fabric of meaning and purpose which becomes the tapestry of our character.

There was only one exit, bridge, escape, which was freedom, liberation, salvation, heaven, for it is called by many names.

One exit, one solution, but countless paths which lead to that solution.

The inside of the cube seems at times like hell but at other times simply like life itself.

We are constantly faced with decisions great and small. Even inaction is a course of action. Even silence is a statement, a reply to the invisible master of the Koan of Existence.

Even our decision to get out of bed and cross the street can be monumental, resulting in death or resulting in a new and different life, a rebirth.

Had I stayed in bed and fallen back to sleep, this idea might be gone, lost, never to reappear in the ever-changing patterns of that kaleidoscope.

I made a choice to find pen and paper and search for words.

Such thoughts are fragile as a gossamer moment strung between frail reeds, bejewelled with morning dew, yet once captured, written down, having taken shape and final form, they are cast forever as a juggernaut in monumental bronze, lumbering about the earth like a behemoth Godzilla, toppling citadels and empires.

It is our illusion that we create and author such ideas. We are a conduit, a focal point, a lense. We do not cause but rather, simply, we allow to happen. We become quiet enough for the silence to be heard.

We may give birth to the smallest mustard seed of a notion which in turn may grow to something either majestic or monstrous, something which overshadows us and empowers us, or leaves us powerless, imprisons and enslaves us or frees us. And our only weapon against its greatness is mute silence and abstinence, denying the seed its thimble of soil and drop of dew.

Sutras always begin "I have heard it said." Oral traditions always give birth to religions with laws etched in tables of stone which guide empires of giants with feet of clay.

1. The Day the Earth Stood Still
Robert Wise
Although barely similar to the original story, it has to me been a classic.

2. The Time Machine 1960
George Pal

3. Forbidden Planet 1956
Fred M. Wilcox

4. 12 Monkeys
Terry Gilliam

5. War of the Worlds 1953
Byron Haskin

6. Blade Runner
Ridley Scott

7. Alien 1979
Ridley Scott

8. Aliens 1986
James Cameron

9. The Abyss
James Cameron

10. The Thing (from another world) 1951
Christian Nyby

I loved:

Star Wars episodes IV, V, and VI

Jurassic Park

The Matrix

Contact

Vanilla Sky

Serenity (actually, the Firefly TV series was better)

Stargate

The Terminator

V for Vendetta (less science fiction, more dystopia, but oh well.)

A lot of these were fast-paced with an interesting story, engaging characters, and good writing. Others I enjoyed because of the ideas they presented (Vanilla Sky, V for Vendetta, and to an extent Contact).

Call me crazy, but I loved Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

My other SF faves:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
The Empire Strikes Back
The War of the Worlds (1953 original, I haven't even seen the new one and probably never will because I HATE Tom Cruise)
The Terminator
The Thing (really more horror than SF, but who's counting? John Carpenter's best film after Halloween)
Hulk (I don't care what ANYONE says, this was a durn good movie!)

And from the made-for-TV files, two Kenneth Johnson classics:

The Incredible Hulk and V

Bladerunner has been mentioned quite a few times. I think it will make a good showing on the list if enough people vote for it.

Violanthe said:
Bladerunner has been mentioned quite a few times. I think it will make a good showing on the list if enough people vote for it.
Wasn't it sort of a "first of its kind"? It was for me at any rate.

I didn't list any of the Star Trek movies, even though I do like some of them. Some were crummy, and some were sweet, and some were good. But as a whole, its hard for me to really and truely consider Star Trek true science fiction. To me it was always more about the people that just happened to live at a future date. The friendship of The Three Guys.
Maybe thats just a quirk of mine.

Yay for both Brazil and Blade Runner, the two that I think should be 1-2 on any list. Ahead of their time, thought provoking instead of all-flash.
Peder

If one wants to go way way back, then Dr. Cyclops, which scared the living bejeezus out of me when I was a kid. :eek:
Peder

pontalba said:
But as a whole, its hard for me to really and truely consider Star Trek true science fiction. To me it was always more about the people that just happened to live at a future date. The friendship of The Three Guys.
Maybe thats just a quirk of mine.
A valid point, but IMO that's true for any good sf; that it's ultimately possible to relate to. I don't read or watch sf for the special effects, spaceships and laser guns, but because it's a great way to put a different spin on the human condition. All of my favourite sf ultimately is about people - even if some of them may have green skin.

Then again, I guess that also explains why I don't watch or read much sf these days... :cool:

Dark City - an excellent film that not many people seem to have heard of. Great performances from the likes of Jennifer Connolly and Ian Richardson, and the story is amazing. One of my all-time faves.

I also enjoyed The Matrix and the first two Terminator films, amongst others.

beer good said:
A valid point, but IMO that's true for any good sf; that it's ultimately possible to relate to. I don't read or watch sf for the special effects, spaceships and laser guns, but because it's a great way to put a different spin on the human condition. All of my favourite sf ultimately is about people - even if some of them may have green skin.

Couldn't agree more. IMO the point of SF and horror is to use extraordinary events to comment on ordinary life. The original Trek is rife with allegories to the time it was made.

Oh, yes, Blade Runner, Brazil, and Dark City are all wonderful. I also really like John Carpenter's The Thing, although I suppose that would be more of a horror film. One current favorite isSerenity, based off the Firefly television series.

Back