• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best Vietnam War books

Are you interested in more of an overall history, strategic level analysis, operational chronicle, or a tactical memoir? There are plenty either way, but if I know what you're looking for I could review something that would be of immediate interest. Here's "We Were Soldier's Once...and Young". It cuts back and forth between the operational level and the individual soldiers, making it a pretty great account of the actual battle without sacrificing any of the individual stories. In doing so it severs as sort of a jack of all types, which is why I picked it to go after first.

"We We're Soldiers Once...and Young" is one of the best accounts I've read of a specific battle, bar none. It covers the battle of the Ia Drang, which was the first major toe-to-toe engagement the US fought against the NVA. The writing shows Galloway's influence (he was a journalist) and the book is the better for it. Most combat memoirs or battle histories suffer from poor writing (either the professional academic writing it sucks or the soldier who is recounting his exploits was obviously meant to do something other than put pen to paper) but between Galloway's writing ability and Moore's military knowledge the two of them manage to put together a straight forward and elegantly written work of military non-fiction.

Taking place in 1965, the book does a good job of showing the way the US Military was before Vietnam gutted the NCO Corps and when the draftees that made up most of the enlisted ranks still believed in what they were doing. In this way it's unique among most, if not all, of the Vietnam books I've ever read. Overall, I'd say if you're looking for a place to start getting your hands dirty, this would be the place to begin.

The last valley by Martin Windrow is a excellent account of the battle of Dien Bien Phu.
Honor Bound by Stuart Rochester & Fredrick Kiley is a tough...as in I can't believe these guys made it...read about POW'S in Southeast Asia from 1961-1973.
Andy

My wife just read "Home Before Morning". She said that was extremely well written. It's the story of an Army Nurse serving in Viet Nam.

We just watched "Rescue Dawn" a couple weeks ago. Great movie about a fighter pilot shot down over Laos... when we weren't supposed to be in the Viet Nam area. The movie depicts the capture and escape of German American pilot, Deiter Dengler, from a Pathet Lao prison camp.

The last valley by Martin Windrow is a excellent account of the battle of Dien Bien Phu.
Honor Bound by Stuart Rochester & Fredrick Kiley is a tough...as in I can't believe these guys made it...read about POW'S in Southeast Asia from 1961-1973.
Andy

Hell In a Very Small Place by Bernard Fall was a great read on Dien Bien Phu too, if you're interested in revisiting it. That whole story is just insane. Street Without Joy, another of his works focusing on the French in Vietnam, wasn't terrible either.

Hell in a very small place is excellent....Bernard Fall is worth re-reading...thanks
Jules Roy wrote a outstanding account of that battle as well.
Andy

Back