• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Binnie Kirshenbaum

thesarahshow

I am kind of new to this forum, but I figured why not introduce myself with my favorite author? Has anyone else ever read anything by Binnie Kirshenbaum? She is seriously fabulous. The first book of hers I read was "Pure Poetry," which a friend of mine who works at a bookstore gave me a couple years ago. I guess he was just going through the books, found it and read it, and decided it was so perfect for me. And he was definitely right. It's a shame she is kind of under the radar, because I have honestly never read such wonderful prose from a contemporary author. Her novels all have this really great sense of humor, kind of dry and smirky. I have never read an author who can write about sex so well. My favorite of her books is "An Almost Perfect Moment." Actually, it's my favorite book of all time. It came out last year, and is about a Jewish girl living in brooklyn in the seventies who has a fascination with the Virgin mary. It's written in a thrid person naturalistic style, which is a huge departure from her toher books, but I absolutely love it. It's like "Maggie A Girl of the Streets" only enjoyable and not horribly depressing. haha. I guess I was just wondering if anyone else has read her books, because I'd really like to discuss them. I have been getting my friends to read her work so that I will have someone to discuss them with. haha. She is seriously one of our greatest contemporary American novelists, in my humble opinion. :cool:

I went to a book fair once and got A Disturbance in One Place for free. I keep a list of all the books I've ever read, and the entry for that particular novel was really short. "Really bad", it said. I don't remember anything of the book (which only happens to a select number of books), but I guess I really didn't like it. Oh well... des goûts et des couleurs...

Yes, I've read "A Disturbance in one Place," and I have to say it's my least favorite of her novels. I can see why one wouldn't like it, but I don't think her major opus can really be judged by one bad novel. (well, I guess it can, but I assure you most of the others are really excellent)

Sarah, I see you are currently reading On Mermaid Avenue, and I am a little surprised to find someone else who has read (or is reading, I guess) this book.I must have read it in maybe 95 or 96. I was in grade 11 I think. My aunt gave it to me, she had read about it in Cosmo or some other junky magazine like that. Really not sure why it was written up in Cosmo, other than it being from a woman's point of view. Anyway, It's such a fun book until the very end, when it gets sadly realistic. I guess I won't ruin it for you, but let me know what you think. ;)

It's nice to see someone else who is apparently familiar with Ms. Kirshenbaum's work. I agree with you about An Almost Perfect Moment, it certainly is one of the better books released in the past year.

thesarahshow said:
Yes, I've read "A Disturbance in one Place," and I have to say it's my least favorite of her novels. I can see why one wouldn't like it, but I don't think her major opus can really be judged by one bad novel. (well, I guess it can, but I assure you most of the others are really excellent)
Hmm... Well, if it's her worst novel, I might give her another go some day.

Other Binnie fans! Wow am I glad I joined this forum. hahahaha So, I agree that "An Almost Perfect Moment" is well, um, almost perfect! haha. The only other book of hers I have read was called "Hester Among the Ruins" it's not as good of a story, but I liked it. she writes mostly just about sex in that book, but sarah i think you are right, she does a really great job with it. It's not like other crappy books (*cough* Tom Wolfe) where the sex scenes make you cringe. hahaha, and she's not being ironic or anything either, it's just really genuine. But oh my god, she is so funny too! i just cant believe i found a post about her. i always looks stuff up and its always in german. i dont know why she doesnt have a bigger american fanbase.

Back