• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book Club Recommendations

Meg

Can any one recommend a book likely to satisfy most women who belong to book clubs. Something with strong plot, three dimensional characters, well written and explores basic human truths, about 300 - 380 pages Meg

In short, no.

The women I know who loves books don't always have the same tastes - but then isn't that the appeal of the book club...where you get to discuss a book someone else enjoyed but you didn't?

I'll do my usual and suggest The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. An exceptionally well written story with wonderful characters and weighing in at 350 pages. :)

Mxx

Ann Beattie. Anne Tyler. Lee Smith. E. Annie Proulx. Bobbie Ann Mason. Louise Erdrich.

In reviewing said list, am thinking of changing one of my names to Ann to increase chance of getting published.

I love the Alexander McCall books about the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency. They tell the story of a woman in Botswana who sets up as a private investigator. They're amusing, observant and interesting whilst being relatively short. Hope that helps.

I would like to recommend Dumas' long lost work, the Knight of Maison-Rouge (Le Chevalier de la Maison-Rouge) which was recently rediscovered and translated in 2003. I have heard excellent reviews of the Julie Rose translation and the book itself (despite the fact that it was written so long ago).

I would be fascinating to observe a classic novel which we haven't been brainwashed into adoring for many generations. :)

Besides, it's Dumas.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll be looking out for Dumas' rediscovered classic and agree with you Farran that a brain washing free exploration would be novel.
Andrea I haven't read any of the Annes you suggest, so will explore these.
Murphyz. The group have read 'The God of Small Things'

Rush Home Road - Lori Lansens , although I'm not sure how many pages it is.

Anything by Elizabeth Berg - but especially "Open House"

Or "Here on Earth" by Alice Hoffman

Oh yuck! You are right! As a man, I can't stand books that have a strong plot, three dimensional characters, that are well written, and explore basic human truths.

(just kidding) :D

--Tim

The best book for discussion that my reading group ever read was 'My Cousin Rachel' by Daphne Du Maurier. The more books we read the more I realise that a 'good' book is not neccesarily a book that leads to much discussion. The recommendations here will be useful for future reads.

Back