• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book Covers

I don't know the reason for the difference, but I like the UK one best.

Oh, just thought of something. Can't they just be published by different publishing-houses (I didn't check that when I looked at the links you gave).

Cheers, Martin :D

Just checked, and they are indeed from different publishing-houses;

UK: Bantam Books
US: Random House Large Print

That could be it, couldn't it?

As far as im aware, different book art is usually used for most geographical versions of books, for instance the US, Europe (not sure if UK is separate from that) & Australian covers are all usually different.

Phil

And again - with the Jordan examples you gave - I'm gonna go with the UK-one. Way better. The US one looks like ... well ... shit, really. :p

See, and in the US Robert Jordan's cover art is considered some of the best of the sci fi genre. There's a companion book to the series that features it. All of our books look that way, especially Sci Fi. Check out Mercedes Lackey or even our Harry Potter editions.

Just funny how it works out that way. If our sci fi books were just all one color, we'd think they were textbooks or something. :D

I can't speak for all Americans, only Texans. We're different, and yes, I guess to the rest of the world we're kinda loony. We're very enthusiastic and opinionated. The French hate us. We're occasionally delusional (What do you mean, you can't find any Weapons of Mass Destruction?) but great fun at parties. The good news is that we're all convinced that Texas is the best place on earth, so we don't often relocate, so the rest of you only have to deal with us while travelling. :p

Well, looney can be good, right? I mean, looney in a positive kind of way?! (except for Bush, but I won't start about that...)

Ashlea originally posted:
The French hate us
Yes, and everybody hates the French. So who are the real idiots here? :p

What, even the Dutch hate the French?? And i thought all you guys in Europe were pally - only the British are allowed to be isolationsist from Europe right??

Phil

Originally posted by Ashlea
The French hate us.

Do they? I always thought that France and the U. S. A. were friendly to each other.

I've got a question. My colleague from an English course I used to attend said, that when he had been in Texas he had seen a huge bilboard on which a picture of a criminal sentenced with a death penalty had been presented, and it had been written there: this man was killed by a state of Texas. Do you really have such bilboards?

I always thought that France and the U. S. A. were friendly to each other

They were cordial to each other, although not after the debate on war in Iraq, when it all got a bit out of hand.

Apparantly the Americans wanted to ban all French influence in the US, including stopping calling them 'French Fries'!!! :D

Phil

The US relationship with France as a country is currently a bit cold, generally OK. I was speaking on a cultural level. Generally Texans visit Paris and can't figure out why everyone is so rude. The personality cultures just don't merge very well.

As for the billboard, I've never seen one but it wouldn't surprise me. The death penalty discussion is always raging. But not an appropriate discussion for the board I don't think so I won't get into it.

I didn't intend to start a discussion about death penalty. I just wanted to know if you really have such bilboards, or not.

I wouldn't really see them here in Houston as the billboard costs are so expensive only liquor companies can afford to advertise on them. It wouldn't surprise me - never seen one quite like that but have seen some pretty in-your-face pro-life ones.

Back