• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book for a 16 year old boy, help me about guys!

Flowerdk4

My son, who is 16 years old, have just written a wishlist for xmas. Its filled with dvd and games. So I thought it would be great to also give him a great novel for him to read at night. Any suggestions?

Flower

How about Eragon by Christopher Paolini? That's the first book in a science fiction trilogy. I'm not 16 or a guy, but I liked it. It's about this 15 year old boy who finds a dragon egg and it hatches. The boy then becomes a warrior and is going to save his country or something. I just started the second book in the trilogy called Eldest.

Flowerdk4 said:
My son, who is 16 years old, have just written a wishlist for xmas. Its filled with dvd and games.

Good god, I'm sorry. It's a great idea to pick a book for him too. The average sixteen year old should be at an adult reading level, so you could get him anything, not just kids books.

What kind of DVDs did he ask for? Perhaps a better idea of his tastes would make suggesting easier.

Thanks for your replies!
My son has asked for dvd with Buffy, Alias and Dark Angel. Plus some Japanese Manga things.
Recently he has bought himself, the german film "Lola" with this redhead of a girl who keeps running.
So he is both into something fantasy, I think its called but also other stuff. I thought about giving him a book, which would take him by surprice, sort of give him something new, open up new things for him.
Right now he is at a private school where there are many creative things for him to do before going to highschool. He has done art and is now doing drama. So he is not a typical young teenager and yet yes he is, know what I mean?
Flower

Motokid said:
Pick one of the books from here.

That should get him interested in reading more....:D

LOL :D
When I last visited him at the school, him and his roommate, had some women magazine laying around. Women magizine about sex. Written for women. But I guess thats what they could get a hold of in a shop. They said they read it for bedtime stories as there are lots of short stories in there. LOL. My son tried to hide them, felt a bit funny having his mum seeing them.

Flower

Flowerdk4 said:
My son has asked for dvd with Buffy, Alias and Dark Angel.

So he likes strong female characters, I think. I highly recommend Alan Moore's graphic novel(s) The Ballad of Halo Jones. There are three books, but you can now buy them collected into one volume. OK, so it's not a novel as such, but he'll still be reading! :)

White Fang by Jack London
Call of the Wild by Jack London
Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat
Watership Down by Richard Adams
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
The Chrysalids by John Wyndam
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Life of Pi by Yann Martel

These are all pretty short and pretty easy reads with interesting plots.

Flowerdk4 said:
I thought about giving him a book, which would take him by surprice, sort of give him something new, open up new things for him.
How about Island by Aldous Huxley?

Otherwise, I'll second Oryx and Crake by Atwood.

hmmm how about Battle Royale by Takami. I'm a girl but I seriously dug that book when i was 16. If he's into manga, why dont you get him some good pulitzer prize winning comics. MAUS and MAUS II come together in a set and I'm sure anybody would love to get that for the holidays.

My favorite book in the world when I was a teenager was "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card...I'm not that much older now. But yeah.

I'll third the recommendation of Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. I'll also second the suggestions of Watership Down and The Hobbit. They're all great books, and not difficult to read at all.

Thank you for all your suggestions!

I managed to find Philip Pullman´s books in Danish. They have a female character and seems like they are the next step from harry potter and lord of the rings. plus they have a forum where he can discuss the books. On the danish booksite where I found his books, a lot of teenagers have made great reviews of his books.
My son already goes to Buffy Forums and spend hours talking about her. I gave him 4 seasons of the buffy serie for his birthday not long ago. To him Jeniffer Garner is the most beautifull woman ever. He likes strong women and I reckon she is the first crush he has had so far. Buffy comes in as his second choice.

I shall check out the books you all have mentioned and see whether I can get them in danish. Thanks you for giving me something to look up as I have no idea of what to get him, all I know is that the books I read is not for him, yet.

Here is a photo of the book I have ordered, in case other teenagers may be interested. Its from the site CDA mentioned.

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b299_FlowerDK_Book.jpg

Back