• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book of the Month 2012

Landslide

As you may have already noticed, BOTM has been on a hiatus...
This was mainly because the participation in the monthly discussions was diminishing from month to month.

So what I'm proposing here is to resume BOTM next year. This would mean we should be deciding what to read soon to give people enough time to get the book.

I'm also proposing we have themed months. We have tried it before and I think they work very well.

So here are the themes/genres I propose for the first three months of 2012:
January - Mystery
February - Romance
March - A book that was turned into a movie

If enough people demonstrate interest in participating in this thread, I'll set up a thread to decide what to read in January on November 2nd. Then, at around November 15th I'll set up a poll until November 30th. This would give people the whole month of December to get the book.

In the mean time, on December 2nd I'd set up a thread to decide what to read in February, then at around December 15th I'd set up a poll until December 30th and so on.

So, do you agree? Are you interested in participating?

This sounds good. I'm wondering if we are all going to read the same book or just something from that genre and then share our experiences of that genre? It sounds like we're all going to read the same book, yes?

For our past BOTMs it's been the former. Judging from Landslide's post, I assume this is how we'll handle discussions this coming January.

Yes, we're all going to read the same book and then discuss it.

I'm going to set up a thread so people can suggest a book for January.

March's category looks fun.

I just picked up several books that were made into movies with the plan to read them: I am Legend, The Godfather, Absolute Power, The Killer Angels, and a few others.

March's category looks fun.

I just picked up several books that were made into movies with the plan to read them: I am Legend, The Godfather, Absolute Power, The Killer Angels, and a few others.

Thanks! ;)

You're more than welcome to suggest categories for the next months and this applies to everyone else!

I would recommend for March I am Legend by Richard Matheson
I have heard that the book is quite different then the movie. However, March is a few months off and I will probably have this one read by then. We'll wait and see.

I meant for you to suggest categories for April and so forth.

You'll have plenty of time to suggest books for March, don't worry. ;)

April: Debut novels

May: Graphic novels (Free Comic Book Day falls in that month)

June: Memoirs/biographies

Anamnesis said:
May: Graphic novels
au2.interference.com_images_smilies_thumbsup.gif

Some other possible themes. I think some of these have been tried before:

short story anthology
comedy/parody/humor
moderator's picks
non-fiction
banned
translated to English language

I do like the "moderator's picks" idea. ;).
Regarding short story anthologies, would we be reading collections from a single author or a book that collects pieces from different writers?

I'll second all of these:

collections
anthologies (I like this for the range of authors/stories to comment on)
graphic novels (usually nice and short, could pack into same month as another category or read more than 1)
memoirs/biographies (I can do without the politicians, athletes, movie stars, most musicians or pop celebrities in general)

and add:

satire
scholarly monograph (this would probably pretty hard to get a consensus on and they tend to be expensive but interesting and informative if the topic is right)

Back