• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book recommendations for a 6th grader

Isabell

Hi everyone,

I have a question for all of you. My son, Andrew is 11 years old and loves to read- I am looking for ideas for books to read over winter break. Currently, he's reading "The Kite Runner" and is almost finished with it. He was interested after watching me read and talk about the book. He's loving the story and is so fascinated with the Afghani culture now. I want to expand his world a bit more. I was thinking of letting him read "Life of Pi" and "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time"

What are your thoughts and maybe some other suggestions? What about "A Thousand Splendid Suns"?

"Dunces" By Toole. Ignacious O'Reilly is a funny character.
The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King. He will like that one I'm sure of it.
Watership Down by Adams. It's theme is political but he doesn't have to know that.

I think that would be more appropriate for a high school kid. For a 6th grade boy, I would aim more for Treasure Island and that kind of thing.

I am sure Isabell will check all recommendations beforehand.I just want to know if AB has read it.

I am curious about The Kite Runner and how Andrew is liking it,I personally did not enjoy it as much,I found the character who was trying to make ammends,was too cold and did not make me believe in him.
The storyline is also a serious subject.

I am sure Isabell will check all recommendations beforehand.I just want to know if AB has read it.

I am curious about The Kite Runner and how Andrew is liking it,I personally did not enjoy it as much,I found the character who was trying to make ammends,was too cold and did not make me believe in him.
The storyline is also a serious subject.

He's almost finished with it and he loves it. I have read the book and watched the movie. I had to write a paper about it for my Social Work practice and policy with immigrants and refugees class. He saw me working on it and talking about it and was curious about the story. Since I am familiar with the story, I question him about the book every few days....he's really reading it. I disagree, I think Amir was totally believable. It was an amazing story- I cried

In 6th grade I read things like Roald Dahl or Robert Newton Peck. I remember reading Peter Benchley's The Island and David Morrell's Testament around that age maybe a couple years older. I haven't read these but maybe you and he can take a look and decide if any of these would work: Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, China Mieville's Un Lun Dun, Cory Doctorow's Little Brother or Michael Chabon's Summerland.

Others:

Lord of the Flies - William Golding
Tarzan of the Apes - Edgar Rice Burroughs

Hi everyone,

I have a question for all of you. My son, Andrew is 11 years old and loves to read- I am looking for ideas for books to read over winter break. Currently, he's reading "The Kite Runner" and is almost finished with it. He was interested after watching me read and talk about the book. He's loving the story and is so fascinated with the Afghani culture now. I want to expand his world a bit more. I was thinking of letting him read "Life of Pi" and "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time"

What are your thoughts and maybe some other suggestions? What about "A Thousand Splendid Suns"?
I think both "Life of Pi" and "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" would be fine. I've not read "A Thousand Splendid Suns", so can't comment on it specifically.

I think what you choose depends on his reading and maturity level. My guess is that he reads above grade level and that presents a challenge. My oldest son was reading at a grade 5 level at the end of grade one, so it was a challenge finding him something both age and ability appropriate. At age eleven, he really enjoyed horror/fantasy/science fiction which really stoked his imagination. "Eyes of the Dragon" by Stephen King was recommended to him by the school librarian and he enjoyed it very much.The Newberry Award winners were usually good choices, too. You might also look at Neil Gaiman's books (the adult novels as well as the young adult).

I'll try to think of others.

I think both "Life of Pi" and "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" would be fine. I've not read "A Thousand Splendid Suns", so can't comment on it specifically.

I think what you choose depends on his reading and maturity level. My guess is that he reads above grade level and that presents a challenge. My oldest son was reading at a grade 5 level at the end of grade one, so it was a challenge finding him something both age and ability appropriate. At age eleven, he really enjoyed horror/fantasy/science fiction which really stoked his imagination. "Eyes of the Dragon" by Stephen King was recommended to him by the school librarian and he enjoyed it very much.The Newberry Award winners were usually good choices, too. You might also look at Neil Gaiman's books (the adult novels as well as the young adult).

I'll try to think of others.

Thank you so much- I will present "Eyes of a Dragon" to him- I have a copy downstairs....

Back