• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book Review Magazines

ALI

Can anyone tell me if there are monthly book review magazines out there? I stopped in at WH Smiths yesterday and was surprised to find there was no book related magazines on the shelfs. Plenty of film and television magazines, but nothing relating to books.

I should point out that i am in the UK. Is this an American or UK based forum?

Here are links to lists of book review magazines:
(They include both online and hard copy magazines)

List of Book Review Magazines

Book Review Magazines used by Librarians

You could also ask the librarian at a public library to see if they have any or would lend you the ones they use to choose books.
I should point out that i am in the UK. Is this an American or UK based forum?
The owner of this site, Darren, is from the UK, but members of the Book Forum are from all over the world.

Ell

I enjoy the 'Literary Review' magazine which is published monthly for £3.00 and is available from all good book/magazine stores (also known as 'Borders' :) ).

If you can't see it I'm sure your local newsagent can order it, as I used to get my local newsagent to do so when I lived in a small backwards town in the north of Scotland.

Hope this helps - and welcome to the forum

Mxx

Oh, thanks Murphy, I keep my eyes open on 'Literary Review'.

Funnily enough, in my home area, I went to WHSmiths to find book related mags but it wasn't there so recently I went to Warkwick for my holiday I went in WHSmiths and found mags!!
Again depend on areas they have or not.

Ha, for some reason I forgot to mention that Waterstones issue a quarterly magazine called 'Books Magazine' which is very nice indeed, possibly even better than the Lit Rev depending on what kind of thing you are looking for. It's £2.50 (I think) but you get it free if you spend over £20 (I have never actually bought a copy of it yet, as I always buy many books).

Should anyone like the August copy of Lit Review, and if I can find them, the latest copy of the Waterstones one (I think the new one is out soon though) let me know via PM and I'll pop them in the post for you, I've read them so will just be binned otherwise.

I only have 1 copy of LR, but may have 2 copies of Waterstones.

Mxx

Originally posted by murphyz
It's £2.50 (I think) but you get it free if you spend over £20

I paid a visit to Waterstones on Tuesday afternoon and picked up three books costing around £25. I wish i had known about it then!

Should anyone like the August copy of Lit Review, and if I can find them, the latest copy of the Waterstones one (I think the new one is out soon though) let me know via PM and I'll pop them in the post for you, I've read them so will just be binned otherwise.

I only have 1 copy of LR, but may have 2 copies of Waterstones.

Mxx

PM is on its way!

Thanks for the welcome and helpfull messages. Much appreciated.

Regards
ALI

The New York Times Book Review is available online. You have to register on their site but it's free. A bit pretentious but some good info. They'll email you once a week, too.

The New York Review of Books and the Times Literary Supplement are others you might want to look into.

buddi

Back