• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books and Intelligence

Usagi

Would you like to see the adult menu or stick with the kiddie specials?

Do you think you are better then others because you won't lower your self to read material meant for "children" well guess what if someone chooses to read something more light hearted they are completly entitled too and you making a stupid remark such as going to the 'adult menu' over the 'kiddie menu' is insulting...I just finished reading Alice in Wonderland and Alice through the looking glass and I enjoyed them very much. I may not be a child anymore but I can still enjoy the material...especially after reading a book with murder, blood, gore, sex, the works...so get off your high horse and pick up something for the "kiddies" you might learn something!!

I always find cracks about Harry Potter's apparent target audience to be foolish. It's nonsense, treat it as such Usagi. They want to miss an entertaining well written story? Not my problem.

Just finished reading Journey by James A. Michener. It was alright but I was really hoping for more about Canada. Michener said in the Preface that part of his agenda was to illuminate Americans about the topic of Canada as well as Canadians. Great! Just what I wanted. Too bad the book was mostly a character study on four Englishmen and an Irishman. The saving grace on this was Michener did speak a bit about Canada in the somewhat lengthy afterward.

Usagi said:
Do you think you are better then others because you won't lower your self to read material meant for "children"

Not at all. Will I read outright badly written crap? Or something that has a ‘group feel’ to it? No. My life really isn’t that vacant.

The children’s section has some great stuff in it – as I’ve mention in previous posts. Sadly it will undoubtedly continue it’s decent into Out of Print thanks to this sheep- and “lemming”-like movement.
Interesting you *do* seem to think it is a “lowering” effect though. Veddy interesting.

making a stupid remark such as going to the 'adult menu' over the 'kiddie menu' is insulting

As it’s intended to be.

...so get off your high horse and pick up something for the "kiddies" you might learn something!!

The astute will notice I’ve mention like very likes of a Lewis Carroll in various tirades against Harry Wanker supporters with pubic hair…

For the record, I remain horseless, you’ll pardon me if I get a little ticked of at watching literacy and the art of reading die.

ions said:
I always find cracks about Harry Potter's apparent target audience to be foolish. It's nonsense, treat it as such Usagi. They want to miss an entertaining well written story? Not my problem.

“Apparent”? “Nonsense”? “Well written” (!!)
Oh.

Rigana said:
Finished Harry Potter already, moving on to 'Der Besuch der alten Dame' by Friedrich Dürrenmatt.

Share your thoughts afterwards. Not his best methinks but interesting.

and
MonkeyCatcher, for the love of gawd bring back the sheep (the avatar, not the baaaaaa’ing of “I’m reading HP(!!)”).

j
Who is now off diaper-duty (nappy, if you prefer)

jay said:
Sadly it will undoubtedly continue it’s decent into Out of Print thanks to this sheep- and “lemming”-like movement.

MonkeyCatcher, for the love of gawd bring back the sheep (the avatar, not the baaaaaa’ing of “I’m reading HP(!!)”).

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but did you not post in the "Just Finished" forum that you had currently finished HBP? It seems as though you are not so set on the "adults menu" as you thought you were.

Oh, and just one quick word of advice -- get over yourself and quickly; not everyone is interested in your posts which seem more to me like you petting your ego rather than actually making some valid statements on books you have read.

MonkeyCatcher said:
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but did you not post in the "Just Finished" forum that you had currently finished HBP? It seems as though you are not so set on the "adults menu" as you thought you were.

Um…that was a joke. Unless I have some pre-cog ability to predict that lil’ HP did die, in a specific chapter no less, and of such an…odd circumstance(s).

Many past posts, Ke-rist, even the last one, show I have no real problem with some children’s lit. Getting all sticky and excited, even bloody proud, about it is a totally different story, however.

We seems to have a *serious* diversion of “reading” versus “comprehension” here…kind of ironic that it’s happening on a book forum.

Oh, and just one quick word of advice -- get over yourself and quickly; not everyone is interested in your posts which seem more to me like you petting your ego rather than actually making some valid statements on books you have read.

A detective you will not make. I assure you. Maybe not even a reader. You certainly can’t even read my posts properly and want to dispense “advice”?
Please. Defend your statements against my statements with statements (Conversation! Debate! It’s fun; it’s exciting!) , but if you’re just going to whine and throws your toys out of the crib, simply don’t read my posts.

I don’t paint myself (type myself) to be ’above’ anyone else or stand as some over-intelligent book guru, it’s you defensive lot, by knowingly putting yourself ‘down’ thereby elevating me in the procedure. And then want to blame me.
Here’s some “advice”: if you wet the bed, it’s not the juice’s fault.

Currently re-reading an old Auster, his first.…

Jay, why do you have to keep putting others down, and finding fault with what they like?
You seem to turn nearly every thread into a battle zone!
Please Don't write a 10 page reply, as I am no longer reading or interested in what you say...
I'm finding you very child like and boring....
Please don't keep spoiling good threads

JMS said:
Jay, why do you have to keep putting others down, and finding fault with what they like?

The celebration of mediocrity should always cause ire.
And I’m really quite unsure anyone really “likes” this stuff, as no sufficient breakdown of it is emitted other than, “I love it!!”

You seem to turn nearly every thread into a battle zone!

This is **conversation**. Most everyone else seems on the defence because they can’t form thought, that’s not my problem.

Please Don't write a 10 page reply, as I am no longer reading or interested in what you say...

This I have little doubt of. Maybe if CNN mentions my posts and they’re turned into a movie then they’ll be some interest…

Please don't keep spoiling good threads

Kind of like your last post?
You’ll notice I tend to stay on topic and even revert questions directed at me (maybe you could tell those that have yet to graduate to the Big Mac to personally email me instead of *blaming* me for thread diversion?????) back to topic.

Anyway, good luck with _Blindness_, quite a good book.

jay said:
I don’t paint myself (type myself) to be ’above’ anyone else or stand as some over-intelligent book guru

Excuse me, but by you telling someone that they should quit with the kiddies menu and get to the adults, it is implying that for some reason you believe that those who read books intended for an adult audience are somehow more acceptable and their posts are somewhat more vaild than those who read "kiddie" books also. I assume that you stick purely to the "adults menu" and therefore believe yourself to be above those who vary their reading every now and then.

I've got nothing more to say to you than you are pathetic and ignorant. Please continue posting if you are done with your little ego-trip, but if not then please stop posting your snide little comments all over the board.

And now to get back on topic, I am going to start reading The Other Boleyn Girl in the morning. I'm really looking forward to it :D

MonkeyCatcher said:
Excuse me, but by you telling someone that they should quit with the kiddies menu and get to the adults

I didn’t “tell”. I asked.
Read and re-read before you try to analyze where I’m coming from. Please.

it is implying that for some reason you believe that those who read books intended for an adult audience are somehow more acceptable

Um, yeah. I do. Teleitubbies may be your (not you-you) favourite television show but that may damn well be best to keep to yourself. Brittany Spears makes some ok pop but it has its place.

and their posts are somewhat more vaild than those who read "kiddie" books also.

Not at all. Those reading “adult” books tend to spout of a bunch of nothingness too.

All in all this *isn’t* age-related. Such divisions are general only relegated by your friendly local governments (cigs/alcohol/nuddie books/films, etc) it’s very s-i-m-pl-y intelligence-related.

I assume that you stick purely to the "adults menu" and therefore believe yourself to be above those who vary their reading every now and then.

We’re still having an echo-effect? More than a few times now I’ve commented on Lewis Carroll. Wanna discuss Frank Baum (creator of Oz books)? Hell, I read Spider-Man comics, however, I’m *not* standing outside the store when they first go on sale nor feel this pathetic need to read it right away. Or be proud of it.

I've got nothing more to say to you than you are pathetic and ignorant.

I was under the impression you had nothing to say even before this.
Your comments hold no merit as you have continually misquoted and misinterpreted me.

Please continue posting if you are done with your little ego-trip, but if not then please stop posting your snide little comments all over the board.

Please stop reading my posts until you can come up with something even vaguely coherent. And until you’re appointed an Admin, kindly don’t tell me what to do.
I’m sure there are some message boards relegated to juvenile reading that you’d feel very comfortable in.
That also said, if anyone can recommend me a book-themed message board that isn’t filled with a bunch of people drooling over kiddie books (while not a quote that *is* what the author intends) and empty plots like Stephen King (doesn’t he have his own message board?), I’d be most appreciative and will depart lickety split.

Sorry, I can’t go back on topic as, oddly enough, I’m on the same book as a hour ago. And Paul Auster is a great writer to read, for those wanting a ‘bit more’. Not difficult by any means, however.
This book, originally published as a stand-alone title, then got merged into what is now know as _The New York Trilogy_ .

j
who also finds it fantastically interesting that I highly praised a book a week or so ago and offered free copies to ANYONE and not-one-person mailed me.
Guess a book really does need to have mass approval (even though I stated this book won a small award in the UK) –because we wouldn’t want to have to establish out OWN thoughts on something…scary shit indeed.

JAY and Monkeycather

If you have issues with each other then please take it to either PM or private messenger and desist your mud slinging in this thread.

Jay, it has been noted that your posts can very sarcastic, insulting, and condescending toward many users on this forum. I'm sure you are passionate and you are entitled to your opinions but either make them without the insults or don't post them at all. Just tone it down please.

Thank you.

Wabbit said:
Jay, it has been noted that your posts can very sarcastic, insulting, and condescending toward many users on this forum. I'm sure you are passionate and you are entitled to your opinions but either make them without the insults or don't post them at all. Just tone it down please.

Hadn't even heard of jay until today :eek:

Leave jay alone, he has done nothing wrong. If you've received a complaint about one of his posts then deal with it privately (isn't that what you advocate?) but I'd doubt someone would complain; there's nothing to be offended about.

From reading the previous few pages of this thread I don't see what MoneyC is getting all defensive about - it's Harry fecking Potter, vacuous kids' fiction. It means nothing. Realise that! What is there to defend?

If you are embarrassed about your reading level then sort it out - don't attempt to build walls around yourself and fire off vocal salvos at others because you perceive them as bigger and better than you.

jay said:
IAll in all this *isn’t* age-related. Such divisions are general only relegated by your friendly local governments (cigs/alcohol/nuddie books/films, etc) it’s very s-i-m-pl-y intelligence-related.
I'm afraid I completely disagree with this statement - whether or not you choose to read Harry Potter has little relevance on your intelligence :rolleyes:

I was going to hold off until I could actually state a new book I’m reading (although I never understood the point of this never ending thread anyway, especially since very few actually make more than a 10 word comment on ‘just finished’, but:

Wabbit said:

In my general posts, very rarely if ever am I insulting to an individual - I usual prance about a theme, seeding unfertile ground. If a *reader* decides they are insulted by, say, reading fiction aimed at pre-teens then they probably need a bit of an introspective view of themselves but instead they post a bunch of nonsense directed at me. If *then* I get personally “insulting” it’s their own fault for not being even vaguely able to pursue a conversation, let alone a debate. Pointing out errors in thought, process and conversation is not “insulting” it’s factual.
So I’m sorry that I can’t tune down my ever-status of ‘monotone’.
If you’d like me to resign from the board, I will do so and do so quietly.

Ice said:
I'm afraid I completely disagree with this statement - whether or not you choose to read Harry Potter has little relevance on your intelligence :rolleyes:

Instead of ‘rolling your eyes’, which really isn’t a great debating technique, could you actually try to put it into words why you disagree?
Books are, basically, food for the brain. Otherwise why not just turn on the TV?
Yes, junk food is desired by all and it has it’s time and place.

Book reading is a solitary engagement. TV, Music, playing an instrument, conversation --all these things (to a degree) can be done as multi-tasking.
Reading, for the most point, can not.
So sorry, what one **chooses** to read _does_ have some factors on brain usage. And if following current trends and The Madness of Crowds is a factor, this is also a gauge of, sorry, “intelligence”.
Also not being able to actually talk about WHY one “loves” such stuff instead of just getting defensive about it is, again, a brain-thing.

Really all this should be in a separate thread, if admin chooses I have no problem with my words being taken elsewhere. My suggestion for the thread title would be The Death of Reading: Logic Need Not Apply.

Still reading Paul Auster…
j

Stewart said:
Hadn't even heard of jay until today :eek:

Leave jay alone, he has done nothing wrong. If you've received a complaint about one of his posts then deal with it privately (isn't that what you advocate?) but I'd doubt someone would complain; there's nothing to be offended about.

From reading the previous few pages of this thread I don't see what MoneyC is getting all defensive about - it's Harry fecking Potter, vacuous kids' fiction. It means nothing. Realise that! What is there to defend?

If you are embarrassed about your reading level then sort it out - don't attempt to build walls around yourself and fire off vocal salvos at others because you perceive them as bigger and better than you.

There have been complaints.

That's a lot of assumptions, Stewart. And, I will moderate how I see fit. To be blunt, it's none of your bussiness. If you don't like it, PM or Email Darren. Thank you :)

jay said:
I was going to hold off until I could actually state a new book I’m reading (although I never understood the point of this never ending thread anyway, especially since very few actually make more than a 10 word comment on ‘just finished’, but:

In my general posts, very rarely if ever am I insulting to an individual - I usual prance about a theme, seeding unfertile ground. If a *reader* decides they are insulted by, say, reading fiction aimed at pre-teens then they probably need a bit of an introspective view of themselves but instead they post a bunch of nonsense directed at me. If *then* I get personally “insulting” it’s their own fault for not being even vaguely able to pursue a conversation, let alone a debate. Pointing out errors in thought, process and conversation is not “insulting” it’s factual.
So I’m sorry that I can’t tune down my ever-status of ‘monotone’.
If you’d like me to resign from the board, I will do so and do so quietly.
j

J, I don't wish you to resign from the boards. Please just try to air your views with a little more tact. You are an intelligent man and I am sure you know what kind of tone your replies often have. As to your argument with Monkeycather would you PLEASE not carry it on here.

Thanks.

I'm curious, where's the lack of tact? I keep reading this over and over and see nothing. :confused:

Also, I'm quite happy to make this my business since the forum is public. :)

Well for one you don't know the facts. There have been complaints and it's my opinion that the complaints are valid. You arn't a moderator of this forum so if you have any concerns please take them up with Darren instead of spamming this thread. Thirdly, would you please not fire off insults and make accusations about me and talk of things which you know nothing about.

I make an easy target don't I? I'm a moderator so I can't hit back at you and you know it. You don't like me? Fine, you might not belive me but I REALLY don't care one way or the other. If you have any personal issues or you want to discuss this point then contact me.

If you REALLY want to then PM me or come talk to me on MSN or Yahoo.

Thanks.

Back