• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

books for 8 years old boy

Sin

My son is turning 8 in a few weeks. He really loves reading so I would like to buy him a good book(s). Maybe something that would be considered a classic for his age (if there is something like that).

Some of his favorite books are:
- The Geronimo Stilton series – I think he has read all of them – some of them several times.
- The Littles series by John Peterson – The first book in this series is his favorite. I think he has read it at least 10 times so far.

Do you have any recommendations?
Nothing too scary please, because he is easily frightened.
Thanks.

Some of my favorites for boys this age are:

Yonie Wondernose by Marguerite De Angeli- Older book about a boy whose curiosity always gets him in trouble.. until it helps him save the day..

Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin-Marguerite Henry.. based on a story from painter Benjamin West's strict Quaker childhood..his dad thought painting was too worldy..so when young Ben aquires a paint set without a brush, he snips off the hairs from Grimalkin's tail...fun story.

Henry and Ribsy-Beverly Cleary .. a boy and his dog on Klikitat Street

The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet-Eleanor Cameron..great fantasy

Thank you for your suggestions. I looked them up at the Amazon.

Abecedarian.
I think that my son would probably pick “The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet” from your list.

Sparkchaser,
It seems that Judy Blume’s books are full of humor and adventure, and that’s exactly what my son’s idea of a good book is.

Hello,

Have you tried any online auction store, i recently purchased Russian folk tales for my little cousin and she is enjoying it a lot.

Regards,
sarah_9

My son loved the Judy Blume & Roald Dahl books at that age, they were funny and adventurous. He also really liked the Magic Tree House series and I still see a lot of the kids checking those out at the library. And we both loved The Tale of Despereaux.

Amazon.com: Magic Tree House Boxed Set, Books 1-4: Dinosaurs Before Dark, The Knight at Dawn, Mummies in the Morning, and Pirates Past Noon: Mary Pope Osborne, Sal Murdocca: Books

Amazon.com: The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup and a Spool of Thread: Kate Dicamillo, Timothy Basil Ering: Books

I have a few suggestions to read

First may I commend you on having a kid who loves to read that is pretty awesome I think.
I am a published author and I would like to reccomend two of my own books that I have written for children and young adults. They are humor books so I am quite sure he would enjoy them.
They are called, "Short Stories of a Man Named Frankie Dingle by Mike D. Burke And "Santa's Off Season by Mike D. Burke
They are available at Barnes and Noble and on my website, Thankyou and I hope if you do buy these books that your son enjoys them! They are both series so more will be coming please enjoy and let me know what you think.

Hi Mike.
It's nice to meet a writer on this forum. I will check your books. What is your web site?

About "having a kid who likes to read":
I have to say that I try not to interfere with his reading too much and I let him to choose if he wants, and what he wants to read.
When we go to the library (we are there at least once a week) he choses books for himself. Of course, I try to make some recomendations from time to time, but it's totaly up to him if he wants to read it or not.

He likes to read children series. As I mentioned his favorite is Geronimo Stilton series and he has read them all.
For his 8th birthday he has got a box of Magic Tree House books and he has read them all too.

For the christmas he has got two nice books that I would like to recomend (if somebody is asking for recomendations himself):
Castle by David Macaulay
and
D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths

Both books are wonderfull and we are reading them together every evening.

Happy new year to everyone :)

Another great author for this age is Eva Ibbotson..she writes children's fantasy, and my kids enjoyed her Secret of Platform 13, Island of the Aunts, and Which Witch?

At that age I was big into Beverly Cleary (Henry & Ribsy, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Beezus & Ramona, etc.) and the Henry Reed books by Keith Robertson.
Encyclopedia Brown is good too.

My nephew really got into the Chronicles of Narnia when he was 8. If he is an advanced reader Willow is a fun read.

Mine enjoys the Amelia Bedelia series, Jack London'sThe Call of the Wild, and I would even check into the AR reading series if his school has it.

You'd consider Narnia preteen? The adventures of Frog and Toad? The Littles?

Margaret Peterson Haddix has some great stories...Shadow Children series...but they may be too old for 8. I guess it really depends on the kid's reading level and maturity.

Last edited:
Back