• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books I read as a child

Mikee

kickbox
Hi,

I'm trying to remember some books I read in Primary school.

They were a series, like the Willard Price adventure books but Science Fiction. I.E. the same characters in different adventures.

All I can remember is the front covers of two of the books.

1 was of an otter in the sea, possibly with a crown on its head and a castle on a rock behind.

The other was of a space ship and elephants on hang gliders in space.

I know I sound mad but I loved these books and have no idea of what they were called.

There was also one about a super horse. They had to rescue it or something.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Mikee.

I Also can't remember a children's book

Boy Inventor & Detective

I don't remember much of my first "chapter" book except that once I read it I never looked back. But now I can't remember it.

It was about a pre-teen boy who was a terrific inventor. He had a paper route and built a machine that took the newspapers and threw them across the lawns onto the porches - well some of the time... He also made an invention that was an alarm clock - this clock was hooked up to a series of strings and pulleys that either took off his blankets or pulled his toe or something like that - I remember it being very eleaborate. Of course this boy and his friends solved crimes about which I remember nothing.

I am sorry for posting this here - but I can't seemt o find the right forum.

Any help you might provide in finding this lost book would be appreciated.

Forgot one thing - the book was a paperback in 1968.

Also - an apology to Mikee. I am sorry if this got your hopes up that someone remembered your forgotten books. I don't know what they were. I just wasn't sure how to post. Sorry.

Elephants on hang gliders has got to be Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. As for the others, I have no idea.

Boy Detective & Inventor - SOLVED

I found out from another forum that the book I was looking for was called The Amazing Inventions of Alvin Fernald by Clifford B. Hicks

Isn't there also a children's book series called Barbar or something like that. I remember elephants, one of them had a crown...

I can't remember if they ever did hang gliding or not. (Or, how they overcame the weight issues without a gigantic hanglider :) )

I think you're thinking of Babar, Prolixic. That was an animated series on TV... Might've been a book as well.

(Babar was king, hence the crown)

i was quite evil in books at primary school. robin jarvis and robert westall being top of the list.
Sometimes, a good writer can express pain and blood and guts better than any film.

Back