• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books in Latin

Erm .... not a great deal i'd imagine - i learnt Latin for three years at school, but i was one of only twelve in my class - out of nearly two hundred in the year - in my parents generation everyone at school had to learn basic Latin, it was part of the syllabus

Nowadays, i would doubt very many people would be able to read it (plus it would be a real bugger to write id imagine)

Phil

It's funny, but the Latin versions of Dr. Seuss books did pretty well. If it can be successfully marketed as a novelty, you won't make any bestseller lists but you may sell a few.

Bolchazy - Carducci is a publisher of Latin books, mostly for the classroom but the Dr. Seuss ones as well. I have a collection of Latin children's books - Winnie Ille Pu (and sequel), Charlotte's Web, the Little Prince. I'd like the Wizard of Oz, but the collector's market for Wizard of Oz stuff is intense and they go for about $100 on ebay, more than I want to spend.

Ashlea, I agree with your marketing analysis; I didn't know about the childrens books. I do see more interest in Latin over the last few years. I paid about $500.oo for a Latin translation of an early German interpretation of Robinson Crusoe (all Leather). I quess the trick is to hit the novelty niche and charge a high price. What created your interest in Latin? With me I guess it's being very elite. Actually, my wife was the Latin scholar.

Phil_T all you say is realistic. Suppose that a line of Latin was alternated with the same line in English. I would only do this for a short book of about 20 pages.

R.J. I take it in good spirit. During WWII, occasionally my mother and I corresponded in poetry form. It drove the Navy censors crazy and required frequent explanations from me. My shipmates kept asking me why I was always being called on the P.A. system.

I've always been interested in old languages and Latin was the easiest to learn I think. It's a very pragmatic language (except for all those declensions, cases, etc.) I minored in it in college, which was a good complement to my English major as English was all about arguing well and being the devil's advocate and I couldn't get away with any b.s. in Latin. Either I was prepared for class, or I was going to fail.

Aaaaaargh ......... Pluperfect Subjunctive .... Aaaaaaaaarrggghh :eek:

Suddenly it all comes rushing back :D

Phil

Back