• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books with evil protagonists?

Kareem

I'm looking for a series of books, the sort of books that, if only for the relentless clarity of the writing, the lucid, yet overwritten descriptions of the grasses, the mud, the thorns, and the very arc of the road that cuts through all that, presents a clear and episodic progress from one small terror to the next. Murders, vampires, demons, debauchery, cannibalism, diabolical secrets, and horror, horror, and MORE horror. Books that will just plain scare the **** out of me on a windy night, and yet still arouse my most primordial instincts. :p

As for the characters...

I have spent a lot of time searching for examples of fiction in which the protagonists displays the characteristics usually seen in antagonists. I do not mean the "anti-hero" who still ends up fighting for "good." I mean someone with a decidedly evil persuasion.

Now, place that character as the main, central character with the story told from his point of view.

My last read was Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles series, and I have to say that I was disappointed. There were a few instances where the characters were ruthless, powerful, and otherwise awesome (such as when Lestat first becomes a vampire in The Vampire Lestat), but other than that they were usually full of self-loathing, defeatism, guilt, nihilism, and moral reservation, which is exactly what I cannot stand. To put it simply, thy were wimps, when they should have been epic villains.

Plus, it seemed to me that the vast majority of the pages are spent exploring the very mundane, mortal aspects of their lives. The stories did not seem like they necessarily belonged to vampires, but to normal people. While there is, indeed, some literary merit to this, Rice ruined a perfectly good chance to present vampires as they should be. Not as crazed monsters and not as pathetic messes, but as perfect protagonist-villains.

Does an example of this exist or even something close to it? Have you read anything like this? I have read so much fiction in which the "good guys" win that it is not worth reading anymore. It is all just so predictable.

Based on the title of your thread I was going to suggest A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess but I guess it doesn't fall into the horror aspect of your search. Are you more interested in supernatural beings as evil protagonists or are evil humans okay, too?

Look at Brian Lumley's Necroscope series. The main character isn't a bad guy but there is a lot of time spent with bad guys from their point of view in the books. The vamps in his series are not whiny little bitches like they are in Rice's.

Hello,

Everything goes for the most part, humans or supernatural beings.

However, I’m a little bit wary of fantasy and sci-fi.. y'know.. elves, dwarves, aliens...that sort of thing.

My favorite books seem to be set in a time and place that isn't too modern. Y'know like.. the classical times, dark ages, medieval times, renaissance era, the early modern period etc..but thats probably too much to ask for. :D

I'm sure I'll think of better examples later, but the series that comes to mind right now is the Marquis de Sade books by Mary Ann Mitchell. In her books Donatien is a vampire as well as his S&M mother-in-law living (or unliving as the case may be) in contemporary times. My favorite of the books is The Vampire de Sade.

Maybe Mistress of the Dark by Sephera Giron, too?

My last read was Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles series, and I have to say that I was disappointed. There were a few instances where the characters were ruthless, powerful, and otherwise awesome (such as when Lestat first becomes a vampire in The Vampire Lestat), but other than that they were usually full of self-loathing, defeatism, guilt, nihilism, and moral reservation, which is exactly what I cannot stand. To put it simply, thy were wimps, when they should have been epic villains.

Plus, it seemed to me that the vast majority of the pages are spent exploring the very mundane, mortal aspects of their lives. The stories did not seem like they necessarily belonged to vampires, but to normal people. While there is, indeed, some literary merit to this, Rice ruined a perfectly good chance to present vampires as they should be. Not as crazed monsters and not as pathetic messes, but as perfect protagonist-villains.

That wasn't the point of the series. Rice's goal was to use the vampire as a symbol for alienation. They weren't meant to be cruel characters, more like regular humans with supernatural abilities.

You might enjoy Patricia Highsmith's Ripley series about a sophisticated sociopath.

I also recommend the turn of the century French series Fantomas, for a really merciless villain who indulges in all sorts of viciou crimes.

And then there's always The Songs of Maldoror.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them.

Since my last post I've read:

The Monk by Matthew G. Lewis.
Les Chants de Maldoror, by Lautréamont.
The demon of Siciliy, by Edward Montague.
The castle of Otranto, by Horace Walpole.
Story of the Eye, by Georges Bataille.
Some of Marquis de sade's work.

Currently working on Frankenstein, Dracula & Melmoth the Wanderer.

Damn, I read alot... And I've just discovered that I do not like books with too much perversity like Marquis de Sade. :D

Anyhow.. more suggestions would be welcome. :)

I say this about a lot of books, but I've been wanting to read The Monk for a while. The Castle of Otranto sounds like it could be good too . . .

Back