• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books with woman protagonist

sanyuja

I need to read books which have woman as the protagonist. I know a few:

A Handmaid's Tale
The Mermaid Chair
The Secret Life of Bees
The Bell Jar
Veronika Decides To Die

I am looking at books like The Mermaid Chair where the focus is on relationships. Any suggestions?

Brida-Paolo Coelho
A Thousand Splendid Suns- Khaled Hosseini
The Colour Purple-Alice Walker
Beloved-Toni Morrison

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood- Rebecca Wells.

I loved this one. If you haven't read it, it's worth picking up.

I definitely agree with the suggestions of Rebecca Wells, Jean Auel and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I didn't find the Earth's Children series boring at all, especially the second book in the series. I also recommend:

Novels by Alice Hoffman, especially Here On Earth, Turtle Moon, At Risk, Practical Magic, and The River King
Novels by Elizabeth Berg
Lauren Groff…The Monsters of Templeton
Philip Pullman…His Dark Materials series
Novels by Marian Keyes, especially The Other Side of the Story, Rachel's Holiday and Anybody Out There?
Novels by Michael Lee West
Armistead Maupin...Maybe the Moon and the Tales of the City series
Clyde Edgerton...Rainey
Alicia Appleman-Jurman…Alicia: My Story
Novels by Billie Letts
Novels by Barbara Kingsolver
Novels by Fannie Flagg
Janet Fitch…White Oleander
Pearl Cleage…What Looks Like Crazy On An Ordinary Day
Judy Blume...Smart Women
Olivia Goldsmith…The First Wives Club
Faith McNulty…The Burning Bed
Eve Ensler- The Vagina Monologues

Try I, The Divine by Rabih Alameddine. It's narrated by a women telling the story of her life. Yet every time she starts a chapter, she decides that's not the way to tell it, and starts again. Effectively it's a book of first chapters that, when put together, tell the whole of her life.

Try I, The Divine by Rabih Alameddine. It's narrated by a women telling the story of her life. Yet every time she starts a chapter, she decides that's not the way to tell it, and starts again. Effectively it's a book of first chapters that, when put together, tell the whole of her life.

Good suggestion. I'd also add Broken Verses by Kamilla Shamsie, The Rice Mother by Rani Manicka, and The Joys of Motherhood by Buchi Emecheta

Glad to read such a nice piece of information.
This is exciting news.:flowers:

suggestions

I recently read the Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, written from the different perspectives of three female protagonists who are sisters. They are part of a missionary family living in the Congo during the 60's, a time of great civil unrest in that country. A good read.
I am currently reading "A Thousand Acres" by Jane Smiley. This story is told by a female as well. As I haven't finished it yet, I don't want to fully endorse it but so far it has been an intriguing, masterfully written story. It's a pullitzer winner.

Good luck!

I totally agree in regard to The Poisonwood Bible, what an amazing story!
Also try Strange Fits of Passion by Anita Shreve, I think you'll really like it.

Back