• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books you are afraid to post about.

Kookamoor

Within the members therapy thread it has been mentioned that some members feel intimidated to post about the books they are reading. In this thread I invite you to tell us all what books you are afraid to say you've been reading, and perhaps why you feel this way.

I hope that through this thread we can initiate some new discussion about these books. If anyone wants to start a thread discussing a particular book mentioned here, or direct someone to an existing thread about the book, please do.

I cannot agree more with what Ell said on the other thread:

Ell said:
Take back the boards and make them into what you want.

I fear posting anything about the works of Stephen King, knowing that others on this forum despise his work... or any popular author for that matter. If I started a thread based on his nonfiction work (Danse Macabre, On Writing, and Secret Windows) there would be one or two positive posts, and a couple hundred "King doesn't know how to write", "King sucks", or "You're a moron if you like King" types of posts.

Edit: I agree with Martin below. This is a great thread.

sirmyk said:
I fear posting anything about the works of Stephen King, knowing that others on this forum despise his work... or any popular author for that matter. If I started a thread based on his nonfiction work (Danse Macabre, On Writing, and Secret Windows) there would be one or two positive posts, and a couple hundred "King doesn't know how to write", "King sucks", or "You're a moron if you like King" types of posts.

Edit: I agree with Martin below. This is a great thread.

Yes, great thread, Kook.

I'm reading King's On Writing right now. I'm almost done, and I don't want to finish it because it's such a good book. His advice about writing habits is great, and also I love what he says about plotting (don't do it) and situations (use them instead). He's very funny, too. I think he's a really talented man and I avidly recommend this book to anyone thinking about fiction writing.

novella said:
I'm reading King's On Writing right now. I'm almost done, and I don't want to finish it because it's such a good book. His advice about writing habits is great, and also I love what he says about plotting (don't do it) and situations (use them instead). He's very funny, too. I think he's a really talented man and I avidly recommend this book to anyone thinking about fiction writing.
On Writing is a very down-to-earth and inspirational book. Danse Macabre makes a great horror history book (movies, literature, and everything else). Secret Windows is a mix of both. Maybe I should just start a Stephen King nonfiction thread.

I think this thread of yours, Kook, has the potential to get others to post what they once feared posting.

That's the idea, right?

Anyway, Novella - I've been thinking of picking up On Writing; you may have given me the final nudge.

hello, my name is jenn and i like stephen king and harry potter....

well the whole therapy session has made me realize i have to stop being such a chicken and just post over here more often. how am i ever going to get better at doing it, if i don't do it?

you're a peach kook.

Aw, thanks guys!

I feel trepidation posting about any more famous fantasy authors, because they get called formulaic and cliched, yet I think they're great for drawing in new fantasy readers, and I still love to read them over and over.

Any chick lit is a bit of a minefield to bring up, because books that one reads for escapism, and not literary worth appear to be frowned upon. I only brought up 'The Nanny Diaries' the other day because Novella asked about it. I didn't put it on my 'currently reading' post because I thought people would 'draw conclusions' about my intellect based upon that. Pretty sad, huh?

And as many of you have said, bringing up a popular author almost always attracts some sort of derogatory remark about the author which I find often reflects upon the reader as well.

jenngorham said:

Well then, obviously you should be shot. ;)

Here's one for you guys. A friend gave me the Mitford books by Jan Karon. I've read them all and I like them. That's right. They're total crap. The writing is on par with the average romance novel and the story lines are naive and not even remotely serious. I like them though. They're perfect for a lazy day where I want to read but don't want to get into something serious.

jenngorham said:

well the whole therapy session has made me realize i have to stop being such a chicken and just post over here more often. how am i ever going to get better at doing it, if i don't do it?

you're a peach kook.

If you want to make the list truly volatile, all you have to do is add Dan Brown.

i didn't like the davinci code, but i know people love it, not that there is anything wrong with that. i will still go see the movie though.

Kookamoor said:
Aw, thanks guys!

Any chick lit is a bit of a minefield to bring up, because books that one reads for escapism, and not literary worth appear to be frowned upon. I only brought up 'The Nanny Diaries' the other day because Novella asked about it. I didn't put it on my 'currently reading' post because I thought people would 'draw conclusions' about my intellect based upon that. Pretty sad, huh?

And as many of you have said, bringing up a popular author almost always attracts some sort of derogatory remark about the author which I find often reflects upon the reader as well.

Kook, as far as The Nanny Diaries, I posted more about this awhile back. I read it for amusement, and it was okay for that, but the reason it didn't appeal to me wasn't anything to do with 'literary merit' but because I just didn't like the main character, the nanny. Sure the mom was a beast, as were her friends, but the nanny character had this kind of air of superiority, like she was really too posh and socially clued in to be a nanny and she was stooping down to the level of the lowly immigrants who usually have the job.

A chick lit book I did like was Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing.

Also, for anyone who likes gossip, social intrigue, murder mysteries, and chick lit (all my favorite crap genres), Dominick Dunne is great. His fiction is all based very closely on real people, and he's great on the inside scoop.

i really liked the davinci code....and harry potter.... :eek:

i have been reading a lot of hunter s thompson lately..articles, books, anything with hunter i can get my hands on lately.
i am about to start the 'minds of billy milligan' soon....as soon as i finish reading the kurt vonnegut book i am in right now.

jenngorham said:
i didn't like the davinci code, but i know people love it, not that there is anything wrong with that. i will still go see the movie though.

I'd say you're quite a bit safer then I am. Enjoying the likes of Dale Brown, Dan Brown, Tom Clancey, Michael Crichton, Clive Cussler, John Darnton, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Robert Ludlum, James Patterson, James Rollins, and J. K. Rowling can make one a target around here. I wish I could remember who it was that recommended James Rollins, I owe that person a tall ale.

jenngorham said:
i read the little house on the prairie series every year.

It's Babysitters Club for me. Of course, I can't re-read all of them, but I collect the ones that resonated with me when I read them the first time around. I find it reassuring that a popular series deals with the issues I dealt with, even if the setting is too middle class for my tastes.

Mari said:
It's Babysitters Club for me. Of course, I can't re-read all of them, but I collect the ones that resonated with me when I read them the first time around. I find it reassuring that a popular series deals with the issues I dealt with, even if the setting is too middle class for my tastes.

i read those growing up and anything by judy blume....or is it bloom...? :eek:

Back