• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

books you never finished... and don't want to.

Buddy Knox

i'm not one to easily give up on a book, but unfortunately i think it's time to retire 'Black House' by Stephen King & Peter Straub permanently. i've had the book for ages now, but everytime i try to read it i become painfully bored and put it back on the shelf. the narration in the book is plain annoying, i just can't get into the point of view it's written in. another problem i had with it is that pointless details seemed to be dragged on forever. there's just way too much uneccessary stuff. it's ashame when you have to struggle to get to page 100 and wonder how much longer of this torture you have to endure. lol, a lot of people like the book though so maybe it's just me.

i've been told King's Talisman series is pretty good but i'm scared to try anything else by either of these authors now. maybe down the line i'll give them another chance.

what are some books you guys have retired to that bookshelf in the sky?

I think there are too many for me to list :D A book that is not holding my interest won't get read. If I am around 100-ish pages in and it's just not doing it for me, then I give up. Life's too short, right? :D

There was this one book I started recently. Can't remember the name of it. It was a fantasy. It was so BAD. I only got 10 pages in :eek:

Regards
SillyWabbit

10 pages? lol.

i hear ya though, no need to sit through something you don't want to. there's plenty of other books out there that can hold your interest.

speaking of which, another book i'm trashing is 'Cherry' by Mary Karr. it's supposed to be some poignant story of a girl growing up and discovering herself, etc. it's just so dry i don't care how her life ends up. thank god i bought it in the barnes & noble discount rack.

I'll be sure and avoid it :D

I know where you are comming from with that book. It's all about characters. If the author can't make you care about the characters you won't care about the book.

Regards
SillyWabbit

Where the Heart Is - my mom gave it to me, and I got about halfway through before just getting too bored to finish.

September by Rosamunde Pilcher....just didn't care about the characters.

Normally I finish books, because there is at least some level of interest, but life-dramas tend to bore me to the point of not finishing the book. Thus, I tend to avoid them.

I always try to finish books, it's like a matter of principle for me, but two I just couldn't get into and gave up very quickly were Wuthering Heights and Anne of Green Gables. I just couldn't like the characters at all. In fact, while trying to read Anne... I found myself shouting at the book "For God's sake will you stop talking!" :mad: These are the only two books I have started and never finished. :)

lol @ Wuthering Heights. i remember them assigning that snorefest back in high school. it's amazing that the educational system would force us to read something that bad. i don't remember much about it other than there were a lot of girls that had the same name, and a ghost kept appearing at someone's window.... i dunno, it sucked though lol.

Thankfully, since Kate Bush's rewrite, no one has ever had to read Wuthering Heights again.

Kate Bush did a rewrite???? If it's anything like her music... *PUKE ( with extra chunks and smelly bits)*

Regards
Silly wabbit

I enjoyed Wuthering Heights, but I read it on my own and wasn't forced to read it via the education system (which manages to ruin a lot of good books via endless discussion of the most minute and mundane points).

I didn't know anyone rewrote the book, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to...

LITANY!!!!

Don't expose the Americans to Kate Bush! What have they done to deserve that??? WHAT??? O.K G.W.Bush deserves to listen to Kate Bush but the rest are innocent, I tell ya!!!

Actually, true but pointless name dropping. Kate Bush is ( or at least was ) a friend of the family :eek:

Regards
SillyWabbit

That's nothing. Ever watch The Professionals? Course you did. My Step Dad was Bodie's mechanic. And Eddy Grant's, but that's not very impressive. There were some other people too. But Martin Shaw was the coolest.

Now, everyone sing the theme tune.

Anyhoo, back on topic, I never could stomach Anne McCaffrey. It was some dragon rider book or other. Nearly made me vomit blood it was so painful.

More recently, At Swim Two Birds, complete gibberish. Totally unreadable.

And inbetween times, I find that Terry Pratchett makes my eyes bleed. His books are only about 12 pages long, and yet I still can't get through them.

That's a lot of bleeding you been doing! Don't the pages stick together from the blood?

Regards
SillyWabbit

SillyWabbit said:
That's a lot of bleeding you been doing! Don't the pages stick together from the blood?
Yes. It's part of the reason I never manage to finish the books. That and the fact that I pass out from blood loss on a fairly regular basis.

James Joyce 's Ulysses. Had tried 2 or 3times, but gave up. yet, everytime I went to the bookstore, I stood in front of it, signed, and left.

The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber, I made it through the first 250 pages and then just about died of boredom. It was like reading Charles Dickens, but slower because nothing ever happened.

h_carnahan said:
The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber, I made it through the first 250 pages and then just about died of boredom. It was like reading Charles Dickens, but slower because nothing ever happened.
I quite liked that one. I agree that nothing really happened, but I just liked the style of writing. It would have benefited from a better ending though.

Roger Zelazny - The Amber Chronicles.

I haven't read anything this boring or disappointing for a long time. I have had a run of great books. I'm only 100 pages in and I can't go on when I have 3 other far more interesting books calling me.

Back