• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books you quit/dropped

SeoulMan

Name some books you dropped or gave up on after only a few pages or chapters. List only the big name books, not the "little" books. Give reasons why.

There's one book I've been struggling with since my youth -- Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Back when I was in junior high school, I read a book containing a list of masterpiece books you HAVE to read. Crime and Punishment was on the list. I picked it up and I couldn't get past the first five pages. I don't know why.

I tried the book again half a dozen times since then, each time giving up after the first five pages.

This book is one big mental block for me. To this day, I have not read it. I think I need therapy.

I know exactly of which you speak. The Great Gatsby was for a long time, the book that I had a similar experience with. Couldn't get through it in high school, ducked it in college, and went through numerous aborted attempts to complete it afterwards. Quite honestly, it's all in your head.:D I was quite busy and attempted to read it during times that I shouldn't have. Not only that, but there were other books just as interesting at the time. Heck, pick it up again and post that you're reading it-I think you'd have some folks who would join in. :)

Al Frankens - Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot.

I just hate all people who use spin to write or make movies or whatever i found it super annoying and not even slightly funny. and then not sure how well known it is but.

Ben Stiller / Janeane Garofalo
Feel this book: An essential Guide to self-empowerment, spiritual supremacy, and satisfaction.

SUCKEDDDDDDDDDD!! nothing else to be said about it

I just hate all people who use spin to write or make movies or whatever i found it super annoying and not even slightly funny. and then not sure how well known it is but.

It's pretty well known. I know Al Franken is running for office but I have no idea how his campaign is going.

I just aborted on one called Lunar Follies by Gilbert Sorrentino. Bizarre ramblings that have something to do with the art scene.

"The Closing of the American Mind" by Allan Bloom.
It was a best seller 20 years ago. I made a few attempts reading this one and would be overwhelmed with it after about a week. I might have to dust it off and take another crack at it in the future.

"The Closing of the American Mind" by Allan Bloom.
It was a best seller 20 years ago. I made a few attempts reading this one and would be overwhelmed with it after about a week. I might have to dust it off and take another crack at it in the future.

I wouldn't feel too bad, it's just a conservative hit piece about American universities. It's nothing but repetition along the lines of: "American universities teach relativism and dumb-down their standards, American students are stupid as a result."

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. After struggling to get through the first few pages I put down the book and returned it to the bookstore. I have no desire to try and revisit it, regardless of all the good reviews.

I just COULD NOT finish The Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer even though I LOVE the Artemis Fowl series,the supernaturalist just creeped me out.I think the only reason I ever took it off the shelf was cause the cover was shiny.

the supernatrualist was quite good,if slightly random,actually,ive forgotten several things

1.what the main char was called
2.who was the supernatrualist again?

it was pretty good tho...i liked the twist at the end with all the sprites multiplying,although it was rly cheesy when they found out the sprites or whatever they are called base

I did that just yesterday. It was "Ghostwalk" by Rebecca Stott. Five days and I made it through 60 pages of bboredom. I figured times too precious to waste it. Plus the book I took then is halfway finished because it made me read until the early morning hours. :)

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. After struggling to get through the first few pages I put down the book and returned it to the bookstore. I have no desire to try and revisit it, regardless of all the good reviews.

Agreed, the only one of his I have been able to continue and enjoy is Remains of the Day ,and that I enjoyed more in retrospect than at the time of actual reading.

Right on! For me, ALL books written by politicos go in a super special category: Closed before opened.
Makes no difference who they are, I absolutely cannot stand the genre, let alone the topic.

The Wind Done Gone, Alice Randall

Falling Man, Don Delillo

Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens--I almost got through it, but with about 90 pages left, decided it just wasn't worth it.

The Last of the Mohicans, James Fenimore Cooper

Wuthering Heights-tried several times, but I always end up throwing it down in annoyance

Twilight-I liked New Moon well enough, and I did manage to make it more than half way through the novel; but I just can't bring myself to finish it. I'm not a big romance fan, and it was just so corny *shudders*

I know it sounds ridiculous, but The Tale of Two Cities. I have never gone beyond the first chapter.

Back