• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

"Bucephalus" and "Verizza Balls": What book is this?

Sneaky Reader

I'm trying to find a book I enjoyed back in '92 or '93. It was part of a series and I never got around to reading all of them, but I'd like to now. Unfortunately I don't remember the author, title, character names, or many details of the story. Here's what I do remember: A very large starship called "Bucephalus," whose captain owns several more just like it. He is a trader or smuggler of some kind. A prison planet where the inmates mine something called "verizza balls," which are extremely fragile spheres containing an extremely corrosive acid. I think the captain of Bucephalus ends up as an inmate on this planet, but stages a revolt using verizza balls as weapons, and rescues the prisoners. At some point, the captain ends up with a hold full of refugees whose minds have been wiped by their totalitarian government. They don't remember anything, including basic toilet training, and the hold is filthy. He leaves the refugees in the care of some kind of religious order. I think there is a humanoid robot, and an extremely feminine military man- a major perhaps. All my best efforts at Googling have failed. I hope someone here on this forum remembers these books and can help me find them again.

Back