• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Cake and ice cream for everyone...

dude

...who reads this. :D

Hi all. I'm Jesse from Austin TX and I just turned 30. I love to read, but up until now, I never thought to look for any message boards on books. I know, I'm quick! :lol: I usually have to resort to those list things on Amazon to find suggestions on new (to me) books which can be tedious, but I have found many good ones that way. This way seems easier and more friendly.

My favorite author is probably Russell Banks and my favorite genre is typically drama, small town life, personal struggle/achievement, coming of age and basically realistic fiction that drives home any number of feelings both happy and sad. That said, I have been known to read the occasional Clancy book or some other action-themed cop noir just to even things out. But every time I do, I just find myself longing for something more down to earth. Banks is able to provide that in just about every way possible.

Andre Dubus Sr is an amazing short story teller with incredible dialog. I've recently become enthralled with Dorothy Allison's work.

The one book that probably made the biggest impression on me was A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Ok so anyway... enough blabbing.:D Hope to see you guys and gals around on here.

Excuse me while I grab a napkin. :)

I like novels about small town life too. I wish there was a name for the genre so it'd be easier to find those books. Ordinary people are a nice change from cops, detectives, lawyers, etc.

Have you read Knockemstiff by Donald Pollock? A bit gritty (X-rated in spots), but excellent. Another good one is Goodnight, Nebraska -- I'm blanking on the author's name.

Excuse me while I grab a napkin. :)

I like novels about small town life too. I wish there was a name for the genre so it'd be easier to find those books. Ordinary people are a nice change from cops, detectives, lawyers, etc.

Have you read Knockemstiff by Donald Pollock? A bit gritty (X-rated in spots), but excellent. Another good one is Goodnight, Nebraska -- I'm blanking on the author's name.

I haven't heard of either, but will certainly look into them.:)

There seems to be a certain amount of perfect attention to detail that action and thriller/suspense writers have to adhere to in order to be taken seriously that authors who write about normal life don't necessarily need to worry about. The emphasis isn't on accuracy which I feel is what makes this style more appealing.;)

Back