• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

can anyone offer any suggestions

confoundit

I'm new here and won't pretend I know a lot about books, but I know what I like so I figured from that you people could offer suggestions of futher reading material. At present, my favorite novels are 1984 and The Fountainhead (currently reading). Also, I read animal farm, but I found it to pale in comparison to 1984.

Farenheit 451 was good, too.
Look around the old threads, and the new ones as well, there are tons of suggestions. Don't limit yourself, though, you might be surprised at what you like, if you give different genres a chance.

Catch-22 is a really good, funny book. I really enjoyed it :) Oh, and The Handmaid's Tale by Margret Atwood is another book you might enjoy.. it involves a less-than-perfect future society just like 1984.

ecks said:
Brave New World is cool. Did anyone read anything else by Aldous Huxley?

I read "Island" donkey's years ago, didn't like it as much as BNW. "Ape and Essence" is one of my favourites, it's rather odd but brilliant. I saw a dramatisation on TV many, many years ago and read the book.

I've read Fahrenheit and didn't really like it as much. I suppose it is the main characters struggle that appeals to me. Man v. society. Is brave new world like that?

if you liked 1984 for the background (living in a police state, big brother, etc...) check "devils advocate" by taylor cadwell and "the R document" by irving wallace

I went through a whole Aldous Huxley phase years ago...I remember liking "Eyeless in Gaza" very much. I think it's out of print now. I liked "Brave New World" of course, and "Crome Yellow". He also wrote one called "The Devils of Loudon" (not sure about that spelling), about a case of mass hysteria. Just about all of his books are worth a try, though some take a little work to get through.

confoundit said:
At present, my favorite novels are 1984 and The Fountainhead (currently reading).

Well if you like The Fountainhead you should definitely read Atlas Shrugged... but I'd give it a few months. I love Rand but I can't read more than 100 pages of her at a time.

Along the lines of dystopias I would recommend 'Kallocain' by Karin Boye. It's similar to '1984' although it was published before it. As a scientist that is trying to invent a truth serum that could make thoughts illegal the protagonist is more part of the suppressing system than the protagonist in '1984' so there's not as much struggle though.

Back