• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

can people change?

jenn

yesterday one of canada's most notorious killers, karla homolka was released from prison after serving her 12 years. she made a deal with the prosecution which saw her sentence reduced, and she is now a free woman. i won't go into the details, but here is a link chronicalling her and her ex-husband's crimes. it is gory and extremely upsetting, just a warning for those who may not want to know. there is also a book out called pact with the devil, which goes into elaborate detail about the trial.

what i wonder is, do you think people can change? is there ever a chance for them to come back from crimes of this magnitude and have a normal life?

I didn't read the link, because I'm eating at the moment. But I think, no matter what the crime was, if the person really wants to change their ways and make their 'new' life work, then they can.

I think there's some redemption, maybe we, as a society, can't afford to not believing in it. I don't know if the woman recently released can be successfully reinserted, I really doubt it.
But speaking of that, a few days ago I found that the killers of a kid, in England, were about to be released. More info on:
http://www.justicejunction.com/innocence_lost_murder_james_buglar.htm

It's a terrible thing that happened, but I love to read some thoughts about it.

Of course people can change, or at least modify their behavior. Many alcoholics do it every day. The question, I think, is do we want to risk our personal safety on whether violent people have changed.

My answer is 'no'. I do not want to endanger my family to give a convicted violent felon the opportunity to prove they have changed.

Selfish? yes, but honest.

Oh my God... I'm sick to my stomach as I read the awful things they did. Really. I'll stop now, and resume later, when I feel better.

Change is the only constant, so, yes, change is possible, but life can never be the same for someone who has committed such crimes if they continue to live in the same area.

I find it hard to believe that a women with her obvious lack of conscience has changed.

Long article...

I'm truly disturbed by this, I hope she does well, because it will be better for us (no one will be drug/kidnapped/urinated/raped/killed). On the other hand, is good to know that Bernando is locked up for life. Hopefully.

she gave an exclusive interview to radio canada which i watched today. her answers where all the right things to say, but totally lacking in emotion. i wasn't looking for remorse, but even when the interviewer asked about her family, her mother, she gave the tiniest mona lisa smile and that was it. i have serious doubts about her re-entering society. although, her story is so high profile that i think it would be difficult for her to do anything.
leckert and diotallevi, i like what you both said. about how we as society can't afford to give up hope on redemption, but like leckert, i don't think i am willing to gamble my family's safety to test that hope.

I think people can change their ways. With some things it will be harder than others, this being one of the hardest, but it is possible. I think she should go into counselling and have someone she cares about constantly around her.

But I didn't read the article so I'm not sure there is anyone she truly does care about.

jenngorham said:
her story is so high profile that i think it would be difficult for her to do anything.

If she is going to have any chance to try and change she should move out of the country if possible. Otherwise she is going to have a hard time with her picture everywhere. Not that i necessarily believe that she will change, but i doubt she will be given the chance to try. A problem shared with many others that has spent time in a prison.

i think the ability to change depends on what aspect of a person's personality or behaviour we are referring to. i agree that we can't afford to not believe in redemption, but we have to be careful to whom we apply that belief. i think if the core of who you are is a sick freak who gets off on inflicting suffering onto others, or sexual sadism, etc- that's who you are. you might be able to curb your behavior for awhile to conform to societal standards of acceptance- but it won't last forever. i don't think the comparison to alcoholism in this case is apt. i think alcoholism is developed based on whole different set of variables.

just a note not mentioned in the article: prior to karla's release (and maybe still, i don't know) she had been carrying on a romantic relationship with a convicted killer. this is RECENTLY that she has been dating a CONVICTED KILLER. this woman hasn't changed.

I agree that this woman hasn't changed from everything I've read she has shown no remorse or compassion and has never had any intent to change her ways. These are all key factors in any big change and they just aren't there. I think that most violent and sexual offenders don't have the ability to change their ways and therefore should not be released back into society.

Bookworm88 said:
I think people can change because. . . (rest of the post not even written due to religious content :) )

I understand your views, but I for one don't want that women or anyone like her around my teenage daughter.

Robert said:
I understand your views, but I for one don't want that women or anyone like her around my teenage daughter.

That is exactly what I was trying to say in my earlier post, Robert. Good point.

I don't disagree that anyone can change, I'm just not willing to bet my 9-y/o daughter's life or virginity on it.

Actions have consequences. Right or wrong, fair or not, we are all responsible for our own actions, or lack of action.

I believe that people can change. I didn't read the link, but if someone had done repulsive crimes, which were planned very detailed, then it's hard to imagine that person starting to regret and turn in to a nice human being, no matter how long he or she had been in jail. And besides, although it is possible for people to change, some more than other, no one can change entirely. And if people change, there is always the possibility that they'll change back.

Bookworm88 said:
I think people can change because. . . (rest of the post not even written due to religious content :) )

i understand this too, and i respect the way you went about answering the question. i realized on posting it that religion would play into people's answers and due to the nature of the forum, might not be able to share. thank you for posting. :)

Back