• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Can someone help?

literati_one

A little while ago, I'd been reading fantasy books, and I wanted to get back into that genre again, but I don't want really dark novels (e.g. R.A. Salvatore). Any suggestions?

Salvatore's novels are dark?
I haven't read any of his, but I hadn't heard before that anything he had written was particularly dark.
Perhaps try:
The Compleat Enchanter by L Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt
Tales of the Dying Earth by Jack Vance
Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser by Fritz Leiber
The Riddlemaster trilogy by Patricia McKillip
The Dancers at the End of Time by Michael Moorcock (technically sf, but it reads like fantasy as there's no science in it)

Those are a few I can think of at the moment, which are generally quite light in tone. It says at the moment you're reading "A Clockwork Orange" - isn't that pretty dark?

R A Salvatore's novels on Drizzt are about how he is overcoming his dark heritage (dark elf). He has a very kind heart which sets him apart from the rest of his kind (the drow). He befriends humans, dwarves and all sorts of other creatures and goes on long adventures battling orcs, goblins, and giants. I just finished The Thousand Orcs last nite and i thought it a good novel.
It has a lot of battle scenes in which he uses swords to stab and sometimes dismember enemies, but most of the book is about how caring he is towards his traveling partners. I had a hard time putting it down, but i guess it all depends on what you consider dark. If you can stand to hear about orc heads getting lopped off or arrows hitting targets in the face then you've got yourself a good read. I've got 3 of his novels and am going to start reading the Lone Drow next. I will have to let you know how it plays out. :)
PS Very humourous also!!! The dwarves are so funny!!!!!

All right, you've persuaded me. Guess that's what I get for judging books by their covers. :eek:
One last Q- should I buy Salvatore or borrow one from the library?

Can't really answer questions about Salvatore but I can recomment Anne McCaffrey. Also I love Robert Asprin's novels, there are 2 series I have read by him: the Myth series and the Phule series. The Myth series is very fantasy and the Phule series is military sci fi. They Myth series is my favorite, you can easily read these books multiple times and pick up something different every time you read them. Thank you for making me think of them! I will be having surgery in a few weeks and I think i will get the series ready by my bedside to read during my recovery. :)

Fantasy but not typical fantasy.

literati_one said:
A little while ago, I'd been reading fantasy books, and I wanted to get back into that genre again, but I don't want really dark novels (e.g. R.A. Salvatore). Any suggestions?

I used to read nothing but fantasy - but then got a bit bored with it all being the same - two authors that got me back into reading fantasy are ..

Jonathan Carroll http://www.jonathancarroll.com/

and

Jeffrey Ford http://www.sfsite.com/06b/jf130.htm

not typical fantasy but both excellent authors
M

A terrific series to read is "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever" by Stephen R. Donaldson. There's 11 books in the series. Here's a link to the overview page...

I had to absolutley force my way through these books. He could take up 3 pages describing a rock.

For Salvatore books read The Dark Elf Trilogy. Homeland, Exile and Sojourn. They were written second in the series but tell all the history of Drizzt. I think they are the best of these stories.

The Belgariad by David Eddings (beginning with Pawn of Prophecy) begins a but slow but soon becomes very entertaining. At times it reads like more of an adventure than a fantasy, but the characters are a lot of fun. It's not in the same class as Tolkien or Moorcock, but it'll put a smile on your face and keep you turning pages.

Hobb might be an option, either her Liveship traders trilogy (as mentioned above) or her Assasin series? Feist's Magician series may also be worth a look :)

I must admit that the Dark elf trilogy is my favourite out of the Salvatore books I have read.

Back