• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Can someone recommend a good epic?

Sundog

I know its very cliche, but I really enjoy books where the main charachter has some awesome magical power and is encredibily powerfull. For example I disliked the Lord Of the Rings because no-one really had any power
Some of my favourites in no particular order are

The Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies
The Wheel Of Time
The Sword of Truth
Belgariad/Mallorean (pretty much first fantasy books I read)
The Redemption of Althalus

Any help would be gladly appreciated

you should try Michael moorcock's tale of the Eternal Champion which includes several series; Elric of Melnibone,Corum,Hawkmoon and Count Brass.

Amber novels

Roger Zelazny's Amber novels might be right up your alley. A family of princes who can shift the elements to create "shadow" worlds, but who battle over who will reign over Amber, which casts the shadows. The first five books are the strongest, but I've seen all ten in one volume.

O

Sundog, have you read Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar series??

If not, then get Magician straightaway, its a terrific read!!

Phil :)

I love the Star Wars: New Jedi Order series.

The first book "Vector Prime" has an earth-shattering event in the Star Wars universe. Close to blasphemous to Star Wars fans.

sorry to step in and counter-act someone's suggestions, but...

If you want main characters with a lot of power, then A Game a Thrones by George R R Martin is probably not for you. It awesome series, but there is very little magic involved.

The rest I either don't know about or I don't think you will certainly not like it.

In my opinion Raymond E Feist is pretty good and I second that suggestion.

Originally posted by Oponn
Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen - Staven Erikson
Read the first one, very good indeed, quite complex with lots of main characters

Originally posted by Generalvally
sorry to step in and counter-act someone's suggestions, but...

If you want main characters with a lot of power, then A Game a Thrones by George R R Martin is probably not for you. It awesome series, but there is very little magic involved.
It's more subtle, not so 'in your face' magic.

Raymond E Feist, try him, I have read the lot very good.

I would say the magic has been increasing steadily book by book. I'm sure by the end with Bran, Melisandre, the Others and dragons all running about things should be more magic-filled.

You should try the Recluse saga by LE Modesitt Jr. In depth characters with a hugely in intricate on-going story line which covers about 11 books, averaging about 600 pages each. Not really conventional description of magic in this saga centering on white or chaos magic, black or order magic and grey which is a mixture of both, it also sticks with humans rather than branching out into elves, dragons etc. Plenty of sword swinging and general action though, all in all a good read. If this isn't an epic I don't know what is.

Ps- George R.R Martin is possibly the best fantasy author around at the moment, can't wait for book four-'A Feast For Crows' to be released in May. (hope i've been a help, bye.)

Unfortunantely, I have read the Riftwar saga and it was very good. Thanks for all the input, i'll try some of those.

Originally posted by Jren
snip/
Ps- George R.R Martin is possibly the best fantasy author around at the moment, can't wait for book four-'A Feast For Crows' to be released in May. (hope i've been a help, bye.)

May! Where did you hear this?

It's very unlikely Amazon will stick to that date, it's just a guess, no one really has any idea when it will be released. Martin hasn't finished writing it yet and he himself says he has no idea when he will.

What about the "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" trilogy by Tad Williams? For me, this is the best fantasy I have read.

The books are: The Dragon Bone Chair, Stone of Farewell and Return To Green Angel Tower ( published in 2 parts: Siege and Storm.)

Actually!!

*digs around bookshelf*

AH HA!

There is another great fantasy trilogy. I'm not sure how many people have read this one because I don't hear it mentioned much. It's called "The Winter Of The World," and it is by Michael Scott Rohan. Books are: The Anvil Of Ice, The Forge in the Forest and The Hammer Of The Sun. Really great books. They have a great atmospher to them. Any body else read the Winter World trilogy???

( not to self: Re-read those books soon )

Errrr, K, I think that's it :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

Tad Williams is a really amazing writer. Memory, sorrow and thorn was one of my favourite fantasy series of all time.

Also have you ever heard of Chris Bunch, his Seer king trilogy was pretty good and centerd around two main characters one being an almighty wizard. Again plenty of romance, magic and battles, enough to keep most people occupied as the books are pretty long (around 500 pages per book) and span about fifty years in the timeline.

Ps- Sorry if I'm wrong about the release date for 'a feast for crows', just reporting what i read on a website. Bye.

How about the "Liveship Traders" trilogy also by Robin Hobb/Megan Lindholm.

While I enjoyed the farseer a little more for "credibility" (as far as that weighs in in Fantasy writing) and character development, I still enjoyed the Liveship Traders.

Jan

Back