• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Can't buy books for my Kindle

Will

Literally. I have gone to order a few books from Amazon, nothing special even, and I just couldn't buy the ebook variants for my Kindle, but had to buy hard copies.

Thoughts running through my head included:

1) What if I really like it, and want to lend it to someone.
2) There won't be a copy available on a shelf should a family member want to borrow it in 20-30 years time.
3) I won't be able to read it in the bath.
4) If it's part of a series, especially a first, it won't sit and look nice on my shelf in a run/series.
5) I really prefer holding paper for some of my reading material...

This is a problem. I got the Kindle to reduce my physical shelf space, and at present, with above logic, that just isn't happening...

Literally. I have gone to order a few books from Amazon, nothing special even, and I just couldn't buy the ebook variants for my Kindle, but had to buy hard copies.

Thoughts running through my head included:

1) What if I really like it, and want to lend it to someone.
2) There won't be a copy available on a shelf should a family member want to borrow it in 20-30 years time.
3) I won't be able to read it in the bath.
4) If it's part of a series, especially a first, it won't sit and look nice on my shelf in a run/series.
5) I really prefer holding paper for some of my reading material...

This is a problem. I got the Kindle to reduce my physical shelf space, and at present, with above logic, that just isn't happening...

I was one that could hardly imagine a Kindle reading as satisfactory. I wuz wrong. Yes, for perhaps the majority, hard copies are mo bettah. However after reading several books in a row on the device I found my hand automatically lifting to turn a page. Hah! :lol:

In answer to your worrisome thoughts........

1. Let 'em get their own. It's quite likely that you'd lose the book to them. Then you'd have to buy another one anyhow.

2. Either Amazon Marketplace, or it's evil counterpart will be alive and well 30 years hence. Let 'em buy a second hand copy.

3. Tough Luck.

4. Buy the whole series on Kindle.

5. See above italicized remark.

So much for above mentioned logic. ;) Not to mention the horrific problem. :whistling:

Nothing is stopping you from buying one of each. ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y187_sparkchaser1998_smileys_devillook.gif

After having people fail to return too many books, I have decided I am no longer a library. If I give it to them, it's a gift.

After having people fail to return too many books, I have decided I am no longer a library. If I give it to them, it's a gift.

Amen! And Hallelujah!

And just how does reading in a bath go? My hands are always wet, and the steam rising must do something to the book's pages. Or no? Plus where do you rest it between latherings?

The inquiring mind wants to know. :)

Reading in a bath is easy.

Have a towel nearby to dry your fingers as needed. Works with dead tree and e-books.

The paranoid can stick it into a large plastic bag.

Nothing is stopping you from buying one of each. ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y187_sparkchaser1998_smileys_devillook.gif

Granted, I could buy one of each, but a bit redundant then really.

The Kindle's strengths lie in the number of small press and indie publishers that sell Kindle books much, much cheaper than physical copies. And also with those uber epics with close to 1000 pages or such - that saves on wrist strain there.

As for the bath reading, I normally read 30 minutes or so before washing properly. Never have a problem with damp pages or anything - almost had a book fall apart on me in the bath though due to dodgy bindings (was the second Malazan book so quite a big one).

Back