• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Carlos Ruiz Zafón: The Shadow of the Wind

Ice

October 2005 Book of the Month:

Book Description from Amazon.co.uk

Hidden in the heart of the old city of Barcelona is the 'cemetery of lost books', a labyrinthine library of obscure and forgotten titles that have long gone out of print. To this library, a man brings his 10-year-old son Daniel one cold morning in 1945. Daniel is allowed to choose one book from the shelves and pulls out 'La Sombra del Viento' by Julian Carax. But as he grows up, several people seem inordinately interested in his find. Then, one night, as he is wandering the old streets once more, Daniel is approached by a figure who reminds him of a character from La Sombra del Viento, a character who turns out to be the devil. This man is tracking down every last copy of Carax's work in order to burn them. What begins as a case of literary curiosity turns into a race to find out the truth behind the life and death of Julian Carax and to save those he left behind. A page-turning exploration of obsession in literature and love, and the places that obsession can lead.

It's been a few months since I read this book (which means dozens of others in between) and I don't have a copy on hand. So, excuse me if my "review" is a tad general as I've already forgotten many details.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I've recently determined that Spanish authors hold my interest better than authors translated from other languages. It could just be that I've been lucky with them, or maybe I'm on to something. Either way, The Shadow of the Wind was one of the better books I read this summer. Although it was on the longer side, I didn't find myself hoping for a swift ending. Books about books seem to be popular these days, but I'd place this one at the top of that pile.

Other than a bit in the third quarter the story was fast paced throughout. The primary characters were well explored and solid. The best relationship in the book is that of the three main characters, Daniel, his father and Fermin. The author really captures the essence of close male relationships.

The only bit of this book that I didn't care for was the fact that the ending was so predictable.
I could tell from the first appearance of the man with the cigarette that it was Julian. The tone of the novel made it clear to me that the only person willing to go to so much effort to destroy a man's work would be the man himself. I also thought it became obvious that Julian would survive and write again under a pseudonom.
In spite of the predictability, I enjoyed this book. I've passed it along to my mother, who loved it and passed it on to my aunt, who has since given it to her daughter. By now, it is undoubtedly out in the world being read by someone I don't even know.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the book, as well as the parallels between Daniel's story and Julian's story. Almost as if by searching for information on Julian, Daniel sealed his own fate.

The book was very good, well written, and fast paced enough to hold my interest. I agree with mehastings about the ending being a little bit cheesy. Yet the rest of the book was so enjoyable that I really did not mind.

My favorite character had to be Fermin, this man was just so funny and provided a much needed laugh in a rather serious book.

I'll put this one back on my "Okay, let's give this one another try -- maybe it wasn't the book's fault you couldn't get into it, after all." pile.

This was an enjoyable read - I finished it a little while ago now. Yes, it was clear what was going on, and I think it could have done with a snip here and there. Oh, and there were one or two grammar clangers, but I can't remember what they were now.

I had the same problem with this one that I had with The Historian--I just wasn't interested in the surrounding story. Vampires--bleh. Carax, yawn. Dumas, been there, done that. There's a whole slough of nicely written, historically vivid literary thrillers out there (Perez-Reverte springs to mind, as well) that I really regret I can't seem to warm to :(

But then, when what you feel like reading is Saramago and Sebald, there is like zero chance a literary thriller is gonna hold your interest for long, heh. I think this one is worth trying, though, and will give it another shot when I recover from my current phase (assuming that I ever do: it's been months now! :eek:

:)

StillILearn said:
I'll put this one back on my "Okay, let's give this one another try -- maybe it wasn't the book's fault you couldn't get into it, after all." pile.

I put it back on my "give it another try someday" pile last year and last week gave it away to a charity shop. I just didn't care about what I was reading.

Can't win 'em all I guess. :)

Great premise; horrible book. I should have known better than to pick up this book based on the many great reviews (6 posts so far...) in this thread.

sirmyk said:
Great premise; horrible book. I should have known better than to pick up this book based on the many great reviews (6 posts so far...) in this thread.

What didn't you like about it? Just wondering as you didn't elaborate much.

I couldn't get into it either and I don't even remember why. It's currently on the very bottom of TBR pile.

Oh, I already said this earlier in the thread.

Nighty night, all.

I loved the book, it's true there were some long stretches there were kind of boring, but overall it was a good "almost-a-mystery". I couldn't wait to see how it all turned out. It had a "Les Miserables" feel to it, too, with Julian on the run from the police.

Yes, I figured out early on that the man intent on destroying the books was Julian, but I didn't know why, and that was my motive for keeping reading.

What I would like to discuss is: 1) whether it's believable that a 12-year old boy would really be that interestedin finding out who Julian was, and why his books were being destroyed. Would a child really have the brains, not to mention the attention span, for such an adult topic?

and 2) Given the time period the majority of the book is set in, should Daniel's father have kept a closer eye on him and put a stop to his detective work, since it increasingly becomes apparent that his quest to find out what happened to Julian was dangerous in more ways than one, and to more than one person? Is finding out what happened to an obscure author worth the risk of the lives of several people?

I almost forgot how I felt about the book when I finished it. One feeling left on my mind though, irritation. I was almost bored with the episode that the boy fell in love with a girl who was older than himself. It reminded me of W. Somerset's Of Human Bondage. I got so irritated with it that I wanted to throw the book away. Were there so many young boys fell in love older girls? what was the complex there?! The girl and the dead baby reminded me of Elen Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher. well, I mean, it doesn't sound like original.

I started to like it when the boy met Julian the first time. A man of no face. That's not bad. The touching part of the story when Julian had a relationship with **** in Paris. I forgot her name. Also like the description of the bookhouse and the guy whom the boy picked up on the street. :(

Did not enjoyed the ending either, like mehasting said, it seemed to be predictable. But I remembered there was a paragraph somewhere near the ending part that made a lot of sense. I need to check it.

Shadow of the Wind

I finally finished the October book! I really enjoyed the atmostphere of this book; reminded me very much of some old black and white films, scenes of shadowy figures, cigarette smoke, narrow alleyways.

I also liked the story within a story structure, even if a little contrived in places. Call me dense, but I didn't guess the twist until a few pages before.....

I give it 8/10 :)

Jane
UK

Hmmmm, it doesn't seem like many people enjoyed this book as much as I did. I loved it! I guess some parts were a little too drawn out, but the atmosphere, the characters, the story...sigh. I haven't read a book this enjoyable in a long time.

Noticed that this was the book of October, but I wasn't a member back then so I'll make a post about it anyway.

"The Shadow Of The Wind" is one of my fav. books and Im gonna read it again later on. I read the book last year, so I don't remember the hole story clear. I read the Norwegian translated version. Was the English translation realeased this year?? Since you have been dissuccing the book lately I mean.

Score 9/10

I gave up on it :)

I thought this book was terrible. The prose is dull and pedestrian, it never soars or swoops or makes you feel much of anything. You will never gasp and the beauty of the languge nor will it make you feel anything especially.

The premise of the book is pretty stupid, in my view. When I read the back of the book my first thoughts were wow! It sounded so intreresting... this mysterious cemetary of books. It turns out it's simply a secret library for first editions and rare books... whoopie.

The main character is TEN and yet falls in love, has fist fights, and is involved in all sorts of amazing and dangerous adventures. Really, it's just ridiculous that a ten year old would engage in thease sorts of things or would even want to. When most boys are 10 they just think girls are yukky and want to play with their action man toy. They certainly are not chasing girls and solving dangerous mysteries.

I just gave up. The writing was bad, the character was unbelievable, and the story was silly.

I fail to see why this book has been raved about :)

I'm going to boost an old thread, but I just finished reading this after talking to a coworker about Tomas Eloy Martinez.

I loved the book. Sure it had some faults, but the story and the characters all just pulled me in. I liked the parallels between Julian and Penelope and Daniel and Beatriz. I had to great villains and a few great twists. I'm a gasper when I read, and there were a few times when I hit a twist and gasped out loud.

The only thing I would have liked to see more was a little more info about the Cemetary of Lost Books.

After having bottled it up for too long, I finally saw my chance to let it all out. Of course then I read Wabbit's post, and was slightly deflated, for saying most of what I wanted to say, and quite probably clearer than I ever would.

But I would like to emphasize (, yes yes, of course I would,) that the character's were terrible. And their dialogue (oh dear) sounded as if they were all reading off some script for a (long) defunct B-grade soap opera.

But the characters! For all their flatness, so romanticized. I mean, it was kinda like looking at one of those crude photoshop touchups that are meant to make the person in question a jaw-dropper. Too much is always too much.

Edit: that just saved me a fortune in ten years time (, all those therapy sessions wouldn't have come cheap).

venusunfolding said:
I'm going to boost an old thread, but I just finished reading this after talking to a coworker about Tomas Eloy Martinez.

I loved the book. Sure it had some faults, but the story and the characters all just pulled me in. I liked the parallels between Julian and Penelope and Daniel and Beatriz. I had to great villains and a few great twists. I'm a gasper when I read, and there were a few times when I hit a twist and gasped out loud.

The only thing I would have liked to see more was a little more info about the Cemetary of Lost Books.

I really loved this book as well, it was one of my favorite reads this summer. The main fault to me was, I did want to know more about the cemetary of lost books, who set it up, who got in, who chose the keeper, why was it such a secret, etc? And while Daniel was rather on the young side at the beginning, he'd also lost his mother which would mature him and make him long for female company.

Back