• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Carol Shields

Vic

Does anyone like Carol Shields too? She is one of my favourite. I'v just finished "Unless".

I read The Stone Diary about 2/3 through and found it very depressing, so I put it down. Maybe I wasn't in the mood at that time. She seems like a fine writer, though her protagonist and situation in that didn't appeal to me.

Shields

I read The Stone Diaries years ago so I don't recall whether I found it depressing. The situation of the protagonist in Unless does not appeal to me at all. It is told from the perspective of a woman author whose daughter has left home and lives in the street. It has a happy end though.

i've read the stone diaries and larry's party. diaries didn't leave much of an impression with me as i had to go and google it to remind myself of the plot. i enjoyed larry's party though. i really liked the main character and his search to discover who he is.
i just bought unless so when i read it i will get back to you.

Larry's party

I enjoyed Larry's party too. Though I read it long time ago, Larry's love for garden maze apparently made quite an impression on me because as I've recently seen a book about the maze on sale my first thought was: Oh, it must be similar to the book Larry bought in England. I think the end of the book gives quite a lesson about forgiveness. I was touched by the fact that after all Larry seems to be capable of forgiving his wife for destroying his maze.

Back