• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Carson McCullers

Ashlea

My brother checked a McCullers collection out of the library, but didn't want to read all of it, so I suggested The Heart is a Lonely Hunter as that is her most famous. I've never actually read any. Here is his review so far:

review of the first 4 chapters of The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

we have two mutes who live together in a small town in Georgia. The fat one has to go live in a state home. We have a lot of white trash running around. The only difference between The Heart is a Lonely Hunter and Flannery O'Connor is I haven't read about the amputee who is seeking redemption yet. That might be in chapter 7 though.

I've read it. It was decent, but I was a bit disappointed in it since it had recieved so much hype. It was pretty high up on the Modern Libraries list of the best books of the 20th century. I read it about a week before it became one of Oprah's book picks which was pretty ironic since I always vowed never to read a book that was an Oprah pick.

She picked 100 years of solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez! I hate her as much as anybody! ( grrrr ) but that book is wonderful! If you have not read it then don't let her put you off it! This book one the nobel prize of literature and deserves it 100 percent. Amazing book :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

I haven't read all of Oprah's books, but on the whole I have been rather pleased by her selections. I'm not exactly in love with all of them, but she has shown a lot of good taste and variation.

Back