• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Catherine Asaro: Charmed Sphere

Ashlea

Just finished, and I'd recommend for readers of Mercedes Lackey and the like. Walks a fine line between fantasy and romance. Not as well developed as some others I've read, but her other stuff is space opera and this is her first fantasy take so I'll cut her some slack.

Very annoyed by the author bio on the inside back cover. The woman has a Ph.D. from Harvard in chemical physics, she does molecudyne research, whatever that is, is a former ballerina, teaches ballet, and has had time to raise a daughter and write 9 published novels. Unless they're using a really old picture, the woman is 40 tops.

I am almost 30, have a job I sorta like most of the time, and can't even whip up a publishable short story despite a degree in creative writing. Feeling very inadequate now.

Re: Charmed Sphere - Catherine Asaro

Originally posted by Ashlea
I . . . can't even whip up a publishable short story despite a degree in creative writing. Feeling very inadequate now.

C'mon Ashlea, I'm trying to write a long story, which'll take me ten years because I've got too many characters and can't bear to knock 'em on the head. I don't have a degree in anything.
YOU ARE MY MENTOR! You're the only one who answers my writing questions (Martin, the naked moose, just tells me to get lost :D )

Do NOT feel inadequate. We need you :) I need you :)

BTW, can you answer a silly one (I just haveto know for research purposes :) ?)

Would an American (male) refer to his bum/bottom/bahookie as his 'ass' or his 'butt'?

Sorry to slip from the brain to the posterior in one short message

Third Man Girl

Thanks! I'm needed! (Feeling much better.)

I would say it would depend on the company he was keeping. If he was the non-cussing sort, or in a room with his mother, etc., it would be "butt." If he were in a casual situation or with all his guy friends it would probably be "ass."

Thanks again, Ashlea. I'll stick with 'butt' ;)

BTW. I have a friend who is an air traffic controller. He told me once, in all seriousness (he's a serious type of guy - not the kind you would discuss butts with), that he and his colleagues have more difficulty communicating with Americans (in English, obviously) than with French, Germans, Italians, etc.

Ain't that weird? :confused:

Third Man Girl

Actually, it doesn't seem weird to me at all as the pilots learning English as a second language would learn a very "proper" english, whereas American English is anything but proper! Vibrant, lots of slang, lots of different accents, lots of regional variation, and lots of disregard for proper grammar.

Back