• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Censorship.... on Tintin

Morry

Hi all,

I just popped in my local preferred Forbidden Planet on Saturday, and for once, treasures among all, Schuiten, jeremiah, some Manara, and best of vol.1 of John Difool and some .... Tintin. Jumped on it and while reading Difool with a coffee am asked "Didn't you tell me that there was one Tintin in Congo? It is part of the normal series? It's just that I cannot find it on the list here..."
I jumped off my seat and effectively among the proudly exhbited collection of titles displayed on the back the 1st of 22, TiC, was not mentioned (though it was still said that there were 22 of them).

And then we've had that long conversation on how Tintin the gentle adventurer's adventures contained much more than one racist element - of which longest concentration in TiC. And also reminded me of some ad hoc adaptation performed on one of the volume where Haddcok was beaten by a Black guy who became a Portuguese for the cause of our good racial political correctness... Well at that time that was called 1960s Catholic Church *revisionist* attempt to educate better the children than the way Herge was doing in his wonderful Catholic-world promoted comics

Well yeah: to come back to Saturday to say the least I was shocked...

Fair enough that some silly over Atlantic people think that our best national glories are belgian waffels and Jean-Claude Van Damme the brainless mass of inanimate speaking muscles... Shame of all he is proposed to play Tintin...

But here this is stinking politically correcting censorship (they did not even change 22 to 21!)... I do not know what is going in these so sweet Anlgo-Saxon worlds but there might one thing to reflect more about: it is well to speak of political correctness and to introduce racial and gender equality by law (Blair's babes) but it is another to learn to accpet one's past. To close here: Being Belgian is not something I claim much as I am kinda of ashamed by how mean the whole system is in that wonderful piece of land. But at least I think I have incorporated some of the local values with my 23 years hopefully definitely over - well I am working on it - in motherland:
-Never deny your past
-Do not try to claim being above who you are
-Do not rewrite history (TiC is a 1930s comic for God's Sake it is bound to be racist!) for history will catch up with you
-Admit old errors and perhaps you will manage to get somewhere

Morry

And yeah when I think about it as well they forgot to mention the very first 'glorious' Tintin: Tintin to the Soviets...

Back