• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Cervantes: Don Quixote

firestarterut

It's amazing how little of you mention don quixote on your all time favorites. That book was amazing and touching and yet it gets little praise here. It wasn't even on the list off top 100 I saw on some thread (don't remember which) Well just wanted to say I love don quixote and if you guys haven't read you should probably get to it.

Me too

I liked it too and I like to identify or discuss other quixotic characters or situations in other books too. It's a wonderful story,even if the wrong conclusion would be that books make you crazy.;)

For me Don Quixote is beside Alice in Wonderland and Gulliver's Travels one of the most heart-warming (?) books ever. :)

Can somebody explain just how this book happens to be "the most amazing", "touching", "wonderful" or "heart-warming" book? I haven't read it, and wondered just why I should.

Can somebody explain just how this book happens to be "the most amazing", "touching", "wonderful" or "heart-warming" book? I haven't read it, and wondered just why I should.

It's a matter of taste, steffee, I didn't care for it. The first half of Don Quixote is a parody, making fun of chivalric romances which were very popular at the time. The second half was more serious, philosophical.

It's a matter of taste, steffee, I didn't care for it. The first half of Don Quixote is a parody, making fun of chivalric romances which were very popular at the time. The second half was more serious, philosophical.
Thanks Robert, it doesn't sound very special when you put it like that, and since yours is the most useful 'review' here... I have read elsewhere that Cervantes can get quite repetitive throughout the book, and that was a turn-off in itself, but I've heard too, that there's a lot of 'political digs' at establishments, which I think might be just too clever for me. Oh well, hehe.

As far as Don Quixote goes if I had any interest in senile old farts dressed funny. I would go down to fifth street and play with the vagrants.

For what it's worth :)rolleyes:), I own a Don Quixote statue. ;)

don.jpg

For what it's worth :)rolleyes:), I own a Don Quixote statue. ;)
Wow. Love it. Is it displayed in your home, or does it live at the bottom of a dusty cabinet?

Does it diminish it at all that your 3000th post was replying to me?

I don't know when the last time I looked at my post count was. Didn't even realize I was close. Standing firm in my assertion that somewhere out there, an alley full of vagrants is calling your name.

I love this statue Aqua! Reminds me of Poe's Eldorado.. which I've loved since we read it in 6th grade English.

Just to answer the original post - I put Don Quixote in my top ten books (that I have read so far). Mostly on the strength of the first half.

I actually preferred the second part of the book better. I found the first half too farcical and over-the-top for my liking. (Sort of like plowing through 5 pints of Ben and Jerrys without breaks, i would imagine.)

But I did learn the value of a good translation from this book. It was only on my second copy that i was able to finish this. My first copy was hateful (sorry but can't remember who the translator was now).

Back