• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Character death in OotP (spoilers)

oddball

OK, I'm really upset about Sirius dying in book 5. I think he had loads of potential as a character (more so than, say, Arthur Weasley or Tonks.) I think a father figure would have been good for Harry in the long run, all though his death could present some interesting plot-devices.

But that's about all I'm upset with. I liked Harry a lot more in this book, he seems a lot more human, a lot more real. In GoF he seemed a bit a pawn, someone just controlled by others.

I enjoyed him finding out more about his father. And I *really* enjoyed finding out his father was a know-it-all, big-headed pig. (By the way I thought James was *alot* like Draco Malfoy.)
Snape back then was good too, especially since he was the victim.

And I'm glad that Harry's romance with Cho isn't all plain sailing. It adds something to their rather two-dimentional relationship. I hope Cho will play a bigger role in book 6.

What does everybody else think?

i agree on all points made by oddball. i was extremely upset with the death of sirius. and Harry does seem more human as he grows up.

Thanks!

Thanks Lokeo! It's nice to have someone agreeing with me!

I think I've already said this before on another post, but does anybody else think Umbridge must look just like that slug receptionist in 'Monsters Inc.'??

(Please somebody agree with me again. Indulge the mad-women.)

;)

heheh, i was thinking about Umbridge's appearance. i could definetly picture her face and the toad like smile.

A toad in a fluffy, pink angora cardigan? *snerk*

With a pink Alice-band on?? *snigger*

Sipping tea from a bone-china cup with her pinky finger stuck out??? *falls off her chair laughing madly, finally straightens up, brushes herself off, and looks sternly at everybody gazing at her.
'Well... I thought it was funny.'*

(Note to all: £50's worth of chocolate frogs (toads, hah) and being let loose on a message-board DO NOT mix. Plus you end up with a sticky key-board)

mm..

A lot of people are settling on the deduction that the author killed off Sirius because it would have been too difficult to reinstate him into the wizarding community after he's been known as a mass murderer for over so many years.

I doubt that.

Hopefully there's a deeper meaning and reasoning behind his death. I sincerely wished that she hadnt seen the need to kill him but one must do what needs to be done. GrRrR though haha.

I'm glad Lupin didn't die. I've got a lot of respect for his character. He should have a lady friend. If not that, I hope she goes deeper into his past and gives us a better understanding of where and who he comes from..the sort of thing she did with Snape.

O lord, SNAPE! I actually felt sorry for him when Harry went into HIS memory and we caught those glimpses of a boy crying in the corner and being made fun of, etc etc... I had sympathy for him as well when he was flipped upside down in the Pensive memory thing but lost some of it when he called Lily a Mudblood.

James and Sirius were 15 - there really shouldnt be any disgust towards them b/c they were kids and look at Harry at 15 - a tempermental child if I've ever seen one.

Speaking of the temper, did anything think it was too much? Ginny was AMAZING btw :) Glad she put Harry in his place a time or two.

Sorry for rambling so much. I've read the books a dozen more times than I should have and I'm still not finished re-reading all my favorite and not so favorite parts.

Any rumors on the sixth ;) ? lol

Well i'm glad you're 'rambling on' about it. I feel the same way. I hadn't heard that's why J K Rowling killed Sirius. I would have liked to see something more creative done with his character i think. I hope Rowling has more flash back scenes for all characters like james and sirius. J K Rowling is an amazing authoer. She proves that by the way she could change my feelings about Snape 3 different times in the book. I agree that Harry was upset too often. I'm 15 and I don't know anyone my age who acts like that really. Maybe he's supposed to have a short temper because of his circumstances. I don't know if there are any rumors about the next book yet. If there are, i want to know what they are!. :)

lol I went on and no in the other thread without realizing that it wasnt the SPOILER thread. haha stupid me.

Anyways..more of what I rambled..

Luna is awesome :D

I was so glad when The Quibbler printed Harry's interview. I wonder what he said in it exactly. I mean, obviously we know what happened but I wonder how he'd phrase it.

PERCY was a MORON. He's a git if I ever heard of one. I hope he goes back to the Wesley's and kisses their feet and begs for forgivness. I never realized what a power hungry person he was.

Sirius's death really didnt leave me with any closure because it was so quick and vague. He got zapped by a curse and fell behind a veil.

Bellatrix needs to die. Neville should kill her :) haha I'm feeling bloodthirsty

I think by the end of the series, Percy will end up going back and begging for forgivness. As you said how Sirius's death was so sudden, I think/hope there will be more concerning him in future books.

I absolutely loved this book - it is the best so far in my opinion.

I was upset when Sirius was killed off, but not as much as I thought I was going to be - I think this was because I was convinced that either Ron or Hermione was going to die, and I was so relieved when it wasn't one of them! The way it happened was very abrupt, but I heard that JK wanted to make the point that death can be random and sudden, and there isn't always a long, drawn-out death sequence beforehand.

This book is certainly a lot darker in tone than the others. At times I wondered just how much misery Harry could take! Everything he liked or that made his life enjoyable was taken away from him: Quidditch, his close relationship with Dumbledore, Hagrid, the DA club. I don't blame him for being miserable.

Dolores Umbridge - what an evil woman. I found her quite frightening - the fact that she had ultimate power over everything that went on in the school was terrifying. And the sooner that Fudge is killed the better, I really hate him.

I loved the bit with Hermione explaining to Harry and Ron exactly how Cho would have been feeling and her response to what Ron says - hilarious!

I agree with Mademoiselle - I actually felt sorry for Snape when he was being bullied. I still can't decide whether Snape will turn out to be evil after all, or will give his life to save Harry in the final book, thereby finally proving he is on the side of good (talk about sitting on the fence!)

A truly excellent book, I can hardly wait for book 6.

The demise of Sirius Black affecting Harry reminds me of young Anakin Skywalker. Harry's temper really seemed to flare in book 5. I think Harry will turn to the dark side just like Anakin and form an unbeatable aliance with the dark lord, haha just playing. I did think that was a bit cruel that Sirius ended up dying, it was all so abrupt. I never would have predicted that. As for Snape, I don't trust that guy one bit. My favorite scene in book 5 was when James Potter was toying with him. Snape always treats Harry like something he just stepped on and I felt relieved to finally picture Snape getting the bad end of the stick. The Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher always seems to play a tremendous role in the book. I wonder who will be teaching the course in book 6??? It might be Dobby, ha...

The whole reason why Snape is the way he is with Harry, is because of the incident with Harry's father. If he hadn't been on the 'bad end of the stick' previously, then his actions towards Harry would be different. I felt more sorry for Snape after seeing this incident and feel his actions towards Harry, although petty, are somewhat justified.

Mxx

Book 6

Does anyone know anything about book 6. Also, I am so upset about Sirius. I do think there will be more with the veil and connection between life and death. Also, did anyone catch JK Rowlings remark in her interview about how Harry might not make it in the end. Woah, that would really top it off in a heart wrenching kind of way. I sure hope not.

I can feel sorry for him very easily. He was tormented and humilliated throughout his schooling life and this has stayed with him throughout his adulthood. I was a victim of bullying myself whilst at school, so know the effects in can have on an individual.
I don't agree with him exacting revenge on Potter, but it's a form of release for the way James behaved and it will possibly give him some comfort.

If you want to hate anybody for blatant bullying, surely Umbrige would be the one to be against?

Mxx

Back