• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Charles de Lint's Newford Books

pink shadow

I've just recently disovered Canadian author Charles de Lint and I've absolutely loved what I've read so far - The Onion Girl, The Blue Girl, The Moon is Drowning While I Sleep. I'd like to read more Newford books, and my question is: Has anyone here read enough of them to tell me if they should be read in any particular order? I know they don't have to be, but maybe there is a logical order anyway? Thanks! :)

Hey, I love De Lint! He is one of my fave writers. I really like his prose. I think, like Neil Gaiman, he enjoyes showing you the magic and wonder that is hidden in the mundane world. Actually I would recommend the author to anybody that likes Neil Gaiman's work.

I recommend Moonheart by Him.

Wabbit said:
Hey, I love De Lint! He is one of my fave writers.

Well, of course he is! :D

I really like his prose. I think, like Neil Gaiman, he enjoyes showing you the magic and wonder that is hidden in the mundane world.

That's really true, that is actually why I like them both so much! The also have a tenderness towards their characters, even when they are being bad, that makes their stories very personal and heartfelt. I hadn't made the connection between them though, but you're absolutely right. Anyone who likes Gaiman should definitely read de Lint and vice versa.

I recommend Moonheart by Him.

I have actually been looking at that, but then I got it into my head that I wanted to read the Newford books first. But if you say it's good I will give it special consideration ;).

I have actually been looking at that, but then I got it into my head that I wanted to read the Newford books first. But if you say it's good I will give it special consideration ;).

It's good and will stake my fluffy blue bouncing ass on it! :D

I've only read the Onion Girl by de Lint so far, but it was brilliant! One of the best fantasy novels I've ever read, undoubtedly, and I'll definitely be looking to get more novels by him.

Back