• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Children's Books

Prolixic

kickbox
I read a lot of children's books to my kids. Short, funny, cute--great if you're between two and six. I've got several I can't stand and quite a few more that I love and wondered if anyone else had similar lists.

Books we love
The Grouchy Lady Bug, Eric Carle
Papa Get the Moon For Me, Eric Carle
The Very Busy Spider, Eric Carle
You Are Special, Max Lucado
But Not the Hippopotamus

Books that tend to get lost on a regular basis:
Any Blue's Clues book
Books with electronic sound
Pop-up books

I'm working my way through the Paddington Bear series at the moment, reading them to my 7 year old grandson. Other stories I like to read are the Sam Pig tales, Mary Plain, and The Phantom Tollbooth. All rather dated, I know, but it's what I grew up with.:)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what a 7 yr old boy might enjoy?

Well, doesn't look like there are too many frequent readers of the Children's book genre. Tell you what, if you've had a bad week or if you're feeling cynical about the world or if you're just in a funk, go find a toddler around two or three who has had a nap and lunch and is generally in a good state of mind--neice, nephew, younger sibling, friends child, volunteer at the library, whatever--and sit and read a book to them. (Preferably a good romping rhythmic one like We're Going on a Bear Hunt It will either restore your hope in humanity or give you some if you never had any (Depending on the child, of course.)

One of our favorite books, as a family, is Davin by Dan Gordon and Zaki Gordon. I can't say enough about this book! It's especially written to be read aloud and to interact with the story. It's for children of any age, although, it's not a picture book, so children will have to be old enough to use their imaginations. (I read a review that said the critic read it to a group of 8th graders and they loved it.)

It's a story within a story. A grandmother visiting her grandkids reads this book them. They have hot chocolate and cookies while listening (author's note says to join in, making slurping noises and such). We played along and had a great time. The story within the story is about a sick child in England during WWII. His father is away fighting in the war. His toy figurines (spelling?) come to life to search for Davin, the boy's teddy bear that is believed will cure the boy. They have adventures including stair climbing, bad toys and a scary attic.

There's plenty of humor and lots of opportunity for impersonations when speaking for the toys. It's enchanting. I think I loved the experience as much, if not more than my boys.

Both of them brought the book to school and their teachers read it aloud to their classes. It would be great Christmas gift.

I grew up on a diet of the Railway Series (Thomas) and the Enid Blyton.
Those books made me twee kid, always looking for adventure like the Famous Five. As adults we tend to be harsh on the archiac parts of these books. I myself would never give my child less.
So they are racially unmodern? So? It didn't turn me into a racist or anyone else for that matter.
So the books have formulaic plots? Try the The 'Adventure' series by Blyton and I think you'll be surprised. The first was the Island Of Adventure, I think.
Modern books such as Harry Potter are more aware and are okay. (I love the movies as well.) But the true magic lies in the Blyton books because they are so real. Every child can have a secret club in their garden shed and every child feels they could solve a mystery like the Five Find Outers (and Dog).
Harry Potter ultimately excludes children from the club, saying they are only 'muggles'.
But the Blyton stories made me a believer in what I could do. To such an extent that I owe much of what was good in my childhood to them and also from Richmal Cromptons 'William'.

Curso,
I agree with you about Enid Blyton. I was hooked on 'Island of adventures' and 'Mallory Towers' It gaves me wonderful imaginations and I felt like to join in. I do enjoyed read Famous Five as well. Of course I have been read Harry Potter. Enjoyable but I rather read Enid Blyton's books. Also I like Michelle Morgan's book. It is about children's life in WW2.

Back