• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Christopher Thompson: Highland Martial Culture: The Fighting Heritage of Scotland

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
I picked this book up on a whim and I am glad I did.

Highland Martial Culture: The Fighting Heritage of Scotland isn't a manual on swordsmanship. Instead it is a study of the martial traditions of the Scottish Highlands prior to the 1750s. Heavily annotated, this book gives a detailed picture of life and death (and battles) in the Highlands.

One thing that I found surprising was the importance of the bard within a clan. Bard songs were gospel and if he sang that you were a coward, your reputation was forever ruined and likewise, if he sang you to be brave, your honor and reputation grew.

It was a quick read and chock-full of anecdotes. If you have the slightest interest in what life in the Highlands was like, I highly recommend it.

:star4:

This sounds really interesting. Yeah bards were actually really important, they also recorded battles / history / deeds in a kind of oral tradition and also (although I don't know if this applied to the highlands) played a part in battles as well - a rousing battle song got the blood flowing (in more ways than one).

Yeah. And they also watched the battle, noting who was brave and who was not. It was a very interesting read.

I think the pipes also played a really important role in getting the adrenaline up to suitable levels so that men could take a bash at each other.

Back