• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Clive Cussler

Darren

As some of you will already know, Clive Cussler is one of my favourite fiction authors.

On our old ezboard forum, I was asked for the order that the Dirk Pitt books were written in, so here it is again:

The Mediterranean Caper ( also published as Mayday in 1978 ) - 1973
Iceburg - 1975
Raise The Titanic - 1976
Vixen 03 - 1978
Night Probe - 1981
Pacific Vortex - 1983
Deep Six - 1984
Cyclops - 1986
Treasure - 1988
Dragon - 1990
Sahara - 1992
Inca Gold - 1994
Shock Wave - 1996
Flood Tide - 1997
Atlantis Found - 1999
Valhalla Rising - 2001

Cussler has also written two non-fiction books:-

The Sea Hunters - 1996
Clive Cussler/Dirk Pitt Revealed - 1998

Any other Clive Cussler fans out there?

Hi Darren,

I am a major CC fan.
Just finished re-reading all the DP books- cool

The latter ones are getting a bit too much, however much it hurts me to say.
I also feel that the over use of himself is becoming silly!

I still can not believe that they havent made a film apart from RTT.
He signed a three book film deal a while ago, but no films.

Who would you like to see play the characterss?

Simon.

Hey, another CC fan :) Welcome to our slowly expanding Book Forum.

I've read all the Dirk Pitt books too, and I also feel that using himself in a small part of the book is getting a bit much. Some people like it, but for me it's a joly back to reality (makes me realise that it's just a book).

Sahara is going to be made into a film (CC wrote the script because he didn't like the way it had been done). Crusader Entertainment are going to make it.

There are rumours that Hugh Jackman (X-Men, Swordfish, Kate & Leopold) is going to star as Pitt. Not sure about the other characters.

Have you read any of the books he co-wrote with Paul Kemprecos? I read Serpent, and it was OK.

There's another one called Fire Ice due out in June this year.

Thanks for the welcome-

Yeah, I've read it, it was Ok, just!

The roll of Pitt I think will determine whether the film works or not.
I think a younger Mr. Ford would have been good.
What about Al?? Who could carry that role off!!

s,

Thanks for the welcome-

Yeah, I've read it, it was Ok, just!

The roll of Pitt I think will determine whether the film works or not.
I think a younger Mr. Ford would have been good.
What about Al?? Who could carry that role off!!

Do you know when the film is out?

s,

Thank you so much for listing the order! I just checked out the first 2 in one volume and I wanted to read all the rest of his in order. I heard on one forum a bunch of people really speaking negatively about Clive Cussler's writing - mainly about how he portrayed women in his books. My mother loves him, though, so I checked out his Kurt Austin books and was hooked on his style of writing, the action, and everything. So now I'm going back and picking up the Dirk Pitt books. They're just fun.

I hadn't noticed that Cussler portrayed women in a derogatory way. I hope you'll like them. The later ones get better (and thicker!) with the plots becoming more complex.

I must admit I was disappointed by his latest book, but I'll wait for you to read it before revealing too much - my review is in our reviews library. It doesn't give much away ;)

I've only read the first of the Kurt Austin ones, have you read them all? What did you think of them?

I hadn't noticed it either - but these women kept talking about how he was somewhat sexist. *shrugs* His stories are fun, in my opinion. They're sensational - almost like Indiana Jones for the water.

I've read all the Kurt Austin books except the latest. I really enjoyed them. I liked the characters, Kurt & Zavala, Gamay (I really like Gamay)...and then of course, they have Sandecker & Gunn and other people. Dirk Pitt even made a cameo in one of them. But they're similar to the Dirk Pitt books from what I've read.

I'll have to read the others then. How much do you think is written by Cussler, and how much by Paul Kemprecos?

I have no idea. I kind of ignored the fact that Paul Kemprecos's name was on the cover too...lol.

Yeah i am a CC fan, but i think they tend to be a bit samey though - i liked the one with James Bond in it though (not that it was ever said it was him, but it was certainly implied).

The last one was okay, but the suprise ending bit felt a bit tacked on, as if he'd decided to do it but didnt know how to get it into the story - hopefully it'll be played better in the next novel :)

His main series is based on a character called "Dirk Pitt". Pacific Vortex is the first book in the series (although it wasn't published first). His later ones aren't as good. If you want to jump into the middle, Deep Six or Dragon are pretty good.

Raise the Titanic was very good. Downhill from there, well more like plateaued into a formula that sells. Fast reading pulp fiction, I've read them all as I read purely for fun not literary snobbery or to write an essay on it for a uni degree.

I agree completely with Carlos--these books are a fun, easy read and the plot is incredibly formulaic. Kind of like the James Bond series of books! I love them for trips where I just want something to read and not have to ponder too much. I haven't read all of the books but from what I've read so far it doesn't appear that you need to start in one place, or move forward in any particular progression.

I bought Atlantis Found while back but had a hard time getting into it. Should I try again? Is it actually any good? I've always been drawn to ocean/underwater adventures, but I found I liked the pictures on the covers better than the story between them.

Just a quick note - I decided to give Atlantis Found another try and haven't been able to put it down! I guess you just have to be in the right mood for it. :)

I've become a huge Cussler fan since writing the above posts all those months ago. Thank you Robert, I certainly did enjoy the novel very much. :)

Read most of Cussler's work. Always thoroughly enjoyed them. He sure knows how to put together a good story.....if a lil' far-fetched and maybe a tad formulatic.

Back