• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Coldplay

ecks

I really like their music. When I feel angsty or depressed, I usually play their stuff and feel a little better. They play it all the time at B&N too, that's how I heard most of their songs. So what does everyone here think of their new album, X&Y?

Like coldplays last 2 albums x&y is brilliant,go and see them live there something else! :D

LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
ObsessedDDDDDDDDDDDDD
ADDICTEDDDDDDDDDDDD

gosh, their talented..incredible voice and such profound songs!

lani

Personally, I think they are a bunch of overrated, useless Radiohead wannabes. Three albums of bland, faux depressing pop is not a band progressing - for their fourth album they need to do something radical (like Radiohead, their idols) did that will split the fanbase down the middle. Whether that means taking a techno route or becoming a polka band, I don't care, as long as they do something to improve.

ruby said:
there nothing like radiohead,are you deaf or what mate?

I never said they sounded anything like Radiohead. Are you blind or what mate?

Chris Martin has said it himself that Radiohead are a big influence of their music and Radiohead, incidentally, just laugh back and ignore the inconsequential little twat.

Chris, I believe, secretly wishes he had been responsible for OK Computer.

Stewart said:
I never said they sounded anything like Radiohead. Are you blind or what mate?

Chris Martin has said it himself that Radiohead are a big influence of their music and Radiohead, incidentally, just laugh back and ignore the inconsequential little twat.

stewart coldplay may been influenced by radiohead,but as you said there bland,depressing pop,dont think so mate! but we all have very different taste in music!

ecks said:
I really like their music.
ricky said:
LOVE it......
ruby said:
Like coldplays last 2 albums
wilderness said:
LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
ObsessedDDDDDDDDDDDDD
ADDICTEDDDDDDDDDDDD

Until someone can justify their opinion - like I have - then I don't consider their opinions to be that great. Also, for the two people who make the mistake: it's they're not there or their.

ruby said:
coldplay may been influenced by rariohead,but come on they are certainly not bland,and you also said depressing pop! there not pop at all,what have you been listening to? but at the end of the day we all have very different tastes in music!

Certainly not bland? I really do believe that. I listen to a lot of music, spanning various genres and years, and I find nothing remarkable about Coldplay whatsoever. Some guitars, the occasional piano, and a mid-tempo beat - a very bland combination which, over three albums without change or development in the band's musical nous, shows that they are diluting the possibility of any skill or originality they may actually have.

Not pop at all? What is pop? It's short for popular music. Coldplay's songs appear in charts which means they are popular (i.e. chavs like them).

Also, what have I been listening too? As I've said: Radiohead wannabes.

We all have very different tastes in music? I know that I do but some of us, it seems, have no taste at all.

What! I said I'd post occasionally!

Everybody does, it's one of the best albums of the nineties (surpassed by The Bends, by the way).

I like Coldplay - I don't care who they look up to, and who their heroes are. I don't compare, I judge them for who they are and what they do. They make decent, catchy, poppy music that's a great deal better than the usual crap that's filling up the charts (that crazy fucking frog must die), and I happen to enjoy them immensely. Despite your objections, Stewart (to which you're entitled).

Cheers

So, pop(ular) music is per definition bad? Seems like a contradiction in terms, almost.

Cheers

Mmm, I enjoyed the first two albums but I'm not particularly fired up to buy the latest one, as reviews and the ‘Speed of Sound’ single give the impression that it’s more of the same.
I guess I’d partly agree with some of what Stewart is saying; I’d have liked to have seen more progression from the first two albums, and when they first appeared there was a definite feeling of Radiohead-lite about them, in the same way I can see Keane aping Coldplay themselves to a certain extent.
I wouldn’t agree that they were bland, that’s just a tired old default insult that’s thrown in every music debate I’ve ever come across. However I’d say that at times they flirt with ‘Indie MOR’; but is that so bad a thing? You could apply MOR to Van Morrison, some Neil Young, and even ‘Young Americans’ era Bowie.
I guess at some point I’ll get round to buying the new album, and I suspect I’ll like it, although I’ll understand some of the criticism that comes their way.

I think that Coldplay produce depressing, boring, unbelievable dull music. I've disliked every song they have done - and disliked them even more when they're played everywhere. Their music is worse than the tat supermarkets and lifts play.

A couple of their songs may have been okay if they hadn't been played non-stop by all radio stations.

I truly believe that virtually everyone who likes Coldplay is unable to make an actual opinion on music. They are middle of the road dirge.

magemanda said:
I truly believe that virtually everyone who likes Coldplay is unable to make an actual opinion on music.

I think that was proven with the four quotes above. :)

well i love coldplay as well. i like rush of blood to the head, and of course heard and liked yellow and other singles, but did not really start to love them until x&y. they have a very simple, clean sound and i really enjoy the piano. i'm not a guitar girl, and like when bands use other instruments more predominently than the lead guitar.
also they are not a studio band, they sound just as great live.
and then the lyrics. i am a romantic person, but ballads and anything michael boltony is not really for me. they write great songs that are beautiful and sometimes sad.

as to popular music, well i love popular music. it doesn't mean i am dismissive of other, more independant music, i just don't have the resources or the time necessary to dedicate to sussing out new bands. i really liked your recommendation of antony and the johnsons, stewart. i never would have heard them otherwise. but am i tasteless because i also like coldplay or dmb?
bit harsh.

magemanda said:
I truly believe that virtually everyone who likes Coldplay is unable to make an actual opinion on music.
Go on then dazzle us with your insight.

magemanda said:
I think that Coldplay produce depressing, boring, unbelievable dull music. I've disliked every song they have done - and disliked them even more when they're played everywhere. Their music is worse than the tat supermarkets and lifts play.
F@#k me, not exactly Lester Bangs yourself are you.

*grin* Well, that certainly stirred a reaction!

To be perfectly honest, Coldplay just fade into the background for me. I like other styles of music, but am perfectly willing to give anything a try.

I just find it downright amusing that people become sheeplike when it comes to a band like Coldplay. It seems as though if you say you don't like them, you are ostracised as obviously being incapable of rational thought.

Looking at the way people have jumped to the defence of Coldplay and been rather mocking of my particular view of the band, I'd say it is not me being snobbish on this occasion (bows to Martin....)

Back