• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Comic books

SFG75

Anyone like them, or who have kids that enjoy them? I was never into them when I was a kid. Then again, when your college professor parents have nothing but National Geographic and TIME laying around, you tend not to favor the "fun" stuff early on.:D I took my boys to the library and they got some spiderman and transformer "graphic novel"(comic) books that are wonderfully drawn and eye catching. They can't stop staring at the pictures and don't want to put the books down.:lol:

I first read comic books as a child but I wasn't interested in buying them or trading with other kids. I remember reading Archie and Harvey titles and Superman.

So, we are discussing comic books for younger audiences, right? Or at least what we read as a child (or what our children read)? Just want to see how this thread is different from the other threads in the comics & graphic novels forum.

I grew up reading Archie digests. I still read them - I bought one from Half Price Books for 50 cents last month. I like the wholesomeness.

In 1992, I didn't really read any other comics, but I did watch (and love) the X-Men animated show as well as Batman: The Animated Series (also 1992 - good year).

Back in college, I had a huge X-Men collection. I was only 40 or so issues from having the entire series. Oh well.

In my childhood I preferred the American superhero comics to the European sci-fi/fantasy/adventure/western stuff: I grew up on Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Thor, The Avengers, Daredevil, Punisher, New Warriors, pretty much anything Marvel put out.

I've lately grown disillusioned with the current superhero comics: the art seems poorly drawn, the writing doesn't seem as ingenious anymore, the prices are absurd and it takes just five minutes to read an issue.

Nowadays I prefer the alternative American comics, like Love & Rockets, the ecletic graphic novel market, and also the European stuff I missed: Corto Maltese, Blueberry, Asterix, Alix, etc.

wahaha. Wow. I really loved the comic books about spiderman, xmen and other comic books as well. Unfortunately, those books were eaten by termites.huhuhu:sad:

i read alot of grafic novels, comics and manga. i like tamora pierce books and at the monent she has been doing a few comics like white tiger, quite a few authors from the sci-fi fantasy genre are doing comics. my favorite comic series is the x-men and x-man.

there quite a lot of film and animated series at the moment to do with comics in the next few years there are making over eleven different films, from the advengers, wolverine etc.

I just love reading comic books, have my shelf full of comic and fiction books. Football's Comic Book Heroes by Adam Riches is one of my favorite. Whats yours?

I have recently gotten started on them, however I would only buy the trade collection copies.

I started getting into them when I started reading Gaiman's "Sandman" series over a year ago. Recently I have started reading "The Boys" by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson. I prefer ones without superheroes, though would make an exception for Batman. I just like Batman. (It helps that he doesn't have any superpowers.)

From an earlier generation, I remember Prince Valiant most vividly, presented in long plots serialized in our Sunday newspaper The NY Journal-American. My father always read "the comics" to me on Sunday and saved Prince Valiant, the best, for last.
Now that "graphic novels" have gained respectability, with other names of writers and illustrators claiming fame as being their creators, I have always thought back to Prince Valiant (Hal Foster) as actually being the originator of the genre. There were continuous story lines and beautiful artwork week after week but, alas, his name is lost to memory (and to more recent publicity by eager others).

I read them from time to time,I've been meaning to pick back up on the Marvel: Civil War.The one I really enjoyed was Wolverine: Weapon X.

I just started reading them last winter.

Back