• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Coming of age surrealist book, teen age?

Flatlander45

Hello all,

I have been searching for literally YEARS to find a particular book. I will do my absolute best to describe it. I read this on a deployment in 2007, and it has always stuck with me. It was sent over to our teeny outpost in a care package from little old ladies, all donated books. In the middle of reading it the second time mortars started to fall on the outpost and after the attack, much to my dismay the book was gone.

This book was very surrealistic, and focused on a young boy. He was daydreaming, or really dreaming (can't recall) and during those times he took a boat to visit his grandfather (maybe grandmother too) on an island much different than his own town.

I seem to remember a gun, but for some reason I think it was a pop gun or cap gun, which he "shot" somebody who had authority (police officer or mayor?) and was running away/hiding.

The only thing I was disappointed with, and I mean REALLY disappointed, was the ending. The boy awoke from a dream, and... Well... He discovered a part of his body worked which previously did not. It was terrible, didn't wrap things up, and left me wondering if the author just got wanted to retire early.

So this kid had an awesome series of surreal adventures and ended in a coming of age theme/puberty.

I know this is very generic and probably won't lead to anything but I am desperate to find and re-read this book.

Thanks to all who try to help me in this seemingly impossible quest.

And I do not remember the audience age this was written for, but I am assuming it was standard adults based on how it read.

And this might be from a different book (don't think so though) but I seem I recall a fair of sorts going on in these dreams. Since the vast majority of our donated books were not new, I am guessing it was published before 2000.

Back