• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Compare And Contrast: Dracula The Book Vs The Movie

hopz

Hey guys, I need to write an in-depth essay on the similiarites and differences of Bram Stoker's Novel Dracula and the 1992 Film Version of it. Just dot down any info you have on this, thanks :)

Hey guys, I need to write an in-depth essay on the similiarites and differences of Bram Stoker's Novel Dracula and the 1992 Film Version of it. Just dot down any info you have on this, thanks :)
Have you actually read the book and watched the movie yourself? What are your views on the similarites and differences? You need to realise that members are not here to do your homework for you. Ions created a very useful post a while back which may help you:

STUDENT looking for help with a book? Look here!

I hope this helps.

yes I've actually read the book, but I was not present for the whole duration of the movie during class time. Things I have so far

-The count goes to England for Mina in the movie, while in the book he goes simply to prey on more humans.

-Ending differs

-There was no "prequel" in the book as there was in the movie

-The count does not display as much of a "homosexuality" in the movie as he does in the book

I was just wondering if anybody could add on to something I missed, but if not it's fine... :rolleyes:

I haven't seen the 1992 movie you refer to, but there was an earlier film (1920s?) with Bela Lugosa. I can still here his accented voice intoning, "I am Count Dracula. I come from Transylvania."

If you mention that the movie you are reviewing is not the first attempt to film the book, it might get you points.

I'm currently reading the book and I'm down to the last few chapters. Perhaps I'm a particularly obtuse reader or I'm in for one big homosexual surprise in those last few pages!

I'm aware that quite a bit of sexual undercurrent has been read into Stokers's Dracula but I'd never heard that particular interpretation of The Count's leanings.

Curious, I did a quick Google search and found this page:
OK I'm still not able to post links, but I searched:

bram stoker dracula themes homosexuality

and the first result is a rather interesting article by a Professor Elizabeth Miller. It explores the reasoning and explanations behind some of the interpretations of Dracula. To me, at least, the arguments behind the whole homoeroticism thing are pretty weak.

Of course if your teacher is like too many high school literature teachers, and he or she TOLD you that it's all about homosexuality, then you'd better regurgitate what they want to hear! At least if you care about your grade. ;) Maybe you can gauge this by asking him what he thinks about the research of Wilson Bryan Key. :D

Back