• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Couple of Questions

lies

Where it says "Showing threads 1 to 1 of 1, sorted by last post time in descending order, from last 30 days", can we change that in our profiles? Or is that standard like that? I for one would like to put it to "from the beginning", because when you're browsing through the fora, I tend to forget it's only the last 30 days, which means I forget to read up on the older threads, and maybe it would be easier on new members as well, so they see all the threads? Or would that mean more work for the database?

And another thing: I was thinking about how short stories are such a different medium from books. I know this is The Book Forum, but do you guys think there would be a place for short stories here as well? It would be easier to talk about them (in a Book of the Month kind of way) as well, cause, basically, they're short, and we could maybe even post them (or is that a problem with copyrights there?). I don't know. It's just a thought.

One last thing: I tried to add a link to the Encyclopaedia section, and it said: "You cannot add links to this category, please choose a sub-category", but I can't seem to find just what that sub-category is.
(the link's http://www.xrefer.com/ btw; great site: dictionaries, encyclopaediae, etc.)

Where it says "Showing threads 1 to 1 of 1, sorted by last post time in descending order, from last 30 days", can we change that in our profiles? Or is that standard like that? I for one would like to put it to "from the beginning", because when you're browsing through the fora, I tend to forget it's only the last 30 days, which means I forget to read up on the older threads, and maybe it would be easier on new members as well, so they see all the threads? Or would that mean more work for the database?

You can change that in your User Control Panel. Go to Edit Options, and under "Thread Options" is a setting called "Default Thread View:"
I'll make a note to set the forum default to longer than the default 30 days.

And another thing: I was thinking about how short stories are such a different medium from books. I know this is The Book Forum, but do you guys think there would be a place for short stories here as well? It would be easier to talk about them (in a Book of the Month kind of way) as well, cause, basically, they're short, and we could maybe even post them (or is that a problem with copyrights there?). I don't know. It's just a thought.

Good idea. I've read a few short stories by Jeffery Archer and enjoyed them. They are quick to read. I don't think we can post full texts of copyrighted works, but we could post links to other sites, or even post some of our writings. We could have it as a new forum in the Books & Novels (and Short Stories) area.

One last thing: I tried to add a link to the Encyclopaedia section, and it said: "You cannot add links to this category, please choose a sub-category", but I can't seem to find just what that sub-category is.
(the link's http://www.xrefer.com/ btw; great site: dictionaries, encyclopaediae, etc.)

Yikes, I've corrected that bug - a setting problem on that category. It should only be the "root" that you can't submit links to. I've added that link to.

Thanks.

Darren.

Re: Re: Couple of Questions

Originally posted by Darren Lewis
You can change that in your User Control Panel. Go to Edit Options, and under "Thread Options" is a setting called "Default Thread View:"
Oh, thanks. I must've looked over it somehow.
I don't think we can post full texts of copyrighted works, but we could post links to other sites, or even post some of our writings. We could have it as a new forum in the Books & Novels (and Short Stories) area.
Yay. Maybe some of the authors' official sites have some of their work online? I still have a bunch of stories from a course I took. Some of them aren't even a page long, and still you can discuss it for hours on end. Gotta love it. :)

I've added that link to.
Thanks. 5 less seconds I have to spend on this lousy keyboard :)

Back