• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown

The Doogster

Hi folks

Dan Brown is like Bird Flu - he seems to have swept the world, infecting everyone in his wake. When I sit on the bus, everyone else seems to be reading Dan Brown. My work colleagues are reading him. Even my mother reads him.

I'll be honest - I find his writing cringe-makingly lame. I mean, I think I'd rather have scrotal elephantiasis than read a Dan Brown novel. A four year old retard could write a better novel than Dan Brown (no offence to four year old retards).

I don't have a religious bone in my body, so I'm not some frustrated Catholic venting his spleen at heresy as entertainment. I just can't stand crap writing.

I feel like that woman at the end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the remake) who is the last "uninfected" person left.......

End of rant.

The Doogster ;-)

venusunfolding said:
Not a fan of him either, but at least he's got people to read. Even if it's a bad book, it's still a book.

I agree with venus to a certain extent here. Yes, he's not the greatest literary mind out there, but if it even helps a few non-readers to pick up a book and hopefully progress on in the future, then it's a good thing IMHO. I've written at other times that I like the conspiracy stuff and that's what helped to keep my interest in the DVC. I found it an interesting read and I'm glad that I ultimately read it. Yes, I'm aware of the historical inaccuracies and that kind of thing. At the same time, it's just as good as most mediocre adventure books.

If you search the forum you will find you definitely are not the only one. There is a member on here who hates him a lot more than you do.;)

I think these days, more people hate Dan Brown than like him.

I don't mind him. There are worse authors, and like venusunfolding says, at least he's getting people to read.

I feel like that woman at the end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the remake) who is the last "uninfected" person left.......
ai22.photobucket.com_albums_b339_beergood_bodysnatchers.jpg
An unbeliever! Get him!

No, you're not the only one. The resistance lives on. Though with the movie coming out, it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better...

Sure it's good that people read, but seriously, is it really THAT much more difficult for them to read an author who doesn't... well... suck? Dean R Koontz, come back, all is forgiven.

No matter what you think of his books, I think it's safe to say that Mr Brown's popularity is not in proportion to his literary talents. No writer is that good, actually. I agree with those who said that it's good that people start reading. I just hope that they move on to other authors as well, just to broaden their horizons. Oh, and that they start questioning what they read - I've actually heard someone refer to The Da Vinci Code as non-fiction.

Am I the only person on planet Earth who doesn't like Dan Brown?

Nope.

SFG75 said:
I found it an interesting read and I'm glad that I ultimately read it. Yes, I'm aware of the historical inaccuracies and that kind of thing. At the same time, it's just as good as most mediocre adventure books.

If I'd never heard of him, or the hype that surrounded him, I would have just shrugged off having read the book. There are worse books out there. What worries me are the people who read the book and take what he says as factually true, and think 'wow, I never knew that!' (On the other hand I'm happy for the people who ask 'is that true?' and then try to find out.) What annoys me is the smug self-satisfaction that seems to seep out of every page.

To keep some perspective, I thought he managed to keep the actual pace of the novel up more or less throughout. But that's the only concession I'm willing to make.

Dan Brown is not literature's savior, I'll tell you that much. His writing style isn't so much embarrassing as it is flat. He's not exactly the greatest when it comes to creating vivid, realistic characters.

So why did I enjoy The Da Vinci Code? The religious content was interesting. I liked reading what could have been, even if the research turned out to be less than stellar. If not for that, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the book at all.

As to those who think it's good that this book is getting people to read, I think it depends on what they choose next.

What is a bit annoying is that D.B. gets alot of credit for being so smart and inventive - like he came up with this idea in the first place!

beer good said:
ai22.photobucket.com_albums_b339_beergood_bodysnatchers.jpg
An unbeliever! Get him!

No, you're not the only one. The resistance lives on. Though with the movie coming out, it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better...

Sure it's good that people read, but seriously, is it really THAT much more difficult for them to read an author who doesn't... well... suck? Dean R Koontz, come back, all is forgiven.

ROTFALOL!!

thanks for the belly laugh!:cool: :D

Dan Brown is like, so kool, you now what I meen? He's like the best righter ever. Can you beleeve there's all these other books out now that r copieing his stile? It sucks, man. You're feeling me? ;)

steffee said:
Dan Brown is like, so kool, you now what I meen? He's like the best righter ever. Can you beleeve there's all these other books out now that r copieing his stile? It sucks, man. You're feeling me? ;)

Oh great, we've lost steffee to the dark side.

steffee said:
Steffe I wish you wouldn't dooo that!!! I about spit my tea when I read your post! :D :D :D :D :D

LOL. I haven't read him personally, but I know how you feel. I can't stand Ernest Hemingway, and whenever I try to talk to an intellectual person and it comes up, they seem to think I have the flesh-eating virus.

steffee said:

Yeah. Who the hell is Dale Brown anyway? And why do his book covers look *exactly* like Dan Brown's?

I think Dale Brown has been around for a lot longer than Dan Brown; can't say I've read any of his stuff though. :confused:

Back