• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Simmons: The Terror

saliotthomas

The unforgettable autor of Hyperion cycle is very good in the horror style.
Two boat stuck on ice while trying to reach the north pole with a mythical creature get them one by one.Set in the 19 century(think?)the description of the cold,sickness,and the beast are hanting,it grow on you slowly.
I was reading it in the peak of summer in Morroco,very refreshing when heat reach 50°

Thanks for the heads up! Looks very good, so just ordered it from Amazon. Historical fiction is my genre main preference with horror right after, so this looks to combine my two favorites.

I was very drawn in by Carrion Comfort. Loved every page of that book.

Song of Kali was fairly good too, but I was disappointed in it. Alot of people cite that as his best horror. I guess I just kept expecting something scarier and it never really happened, although the end does have a certain impact.

Your description of The Terror definitely sounds interesting. I'll probably get to it eventually, but I have Ilium on my list for Dan Simmons first :)

The Terror and Carrion Comfort are my fave horror books by him. Summer of Night and his collection of shorts, Lovedeath are really good too.

The Terror - Dan Simmons

:star4:

Dan Simmons begins the linear portion of this novel with what anyone familiar with the failed Franklin expedition knows to be Historical fact.

HMS Erebus and HMS Terror set sail from Britain for the fabled North West Passage in 1845. They were seen some time later entering Baffin Straits, Northern Canada, by two whaling vessels - and then were never seen again.

A handful of bodies (From a combined crew of around 125) were found buried many many years later - And some bones were also found unburied. It is likely that all Men on the expedition died of "natural" causes, at least in the context of their harsh environment...

...But Dan Simmons posits an alternative theory in this book!

He claims (Well, I shouldn't call it a "claim") that, while some of them did succumb to cold and starvation others were deliberately killed by something malevolent out on the ice.

Many of the negative reviews focus on the fact that starvation, scurvy and exposure are horrific enough that there was no need to introduce a bloodthirsty 'monster'. While it's true that any of the (likely) causes of death are beyond the comprehension of most people - The "Thing on the Ice" added a deeper horror to the story. One can't help but freeze in the Arctic when one is improperly clothed, because the weather is not malicious. But this relentless, stalking beast is a different matter entirely - It wants to cause destruction...

The positive reviews include (as in my case) the genuinely haunting story - This book has a very real capacity to 'stay with you' after reading it.

A straight retelling of the likely fate of these men would have been deeply sad - Human endeavor scuppered by human folly. But by adding the "creature", it becomes as chilling as it is tragic.

CONS: Some passages are poorly written.
Repetition of lost crew members' names and ranks.
Potential (for some) losing interest before the distant end.

PROS: Genuinely terrifying (If like me, you're a bit of a softie!)
Some dialog being amazingly natural.
One event/scene (I shan't spoil - Just say S.V.C.!) being quite evocatively disturbing.
Simmons' ability to constantly humanize hardy old sea-dogs.

If you can stick it to the end, 900+ pages and a thousand miles+(!) from the beginning, then you're in with a solid chance of loving it.

Thanks for the heads up! Looks very good, so just ordered it from Amazon. Historical fiction is my genre main preference with horror right after, so this looks to combine my two favorites.

It fulfills both criteria. Just be careful, because I thought no book could terrify me - But this did! Maybe, as I said, I'm a bit "soft"! I think overall, this is a chilling tale of desperation piling on desperation.

I wish I could say more, but anything else I say is a potential spoiler!

Imagine a (practically) 1000 page story. Then imagine halfway through, really hoping it was 2000 pages!

Great book, impeccably researched (as are all of Simmons books that I've read), but I did feel it was let down by the climax of the horror element. Review of it here for anyone interested.

I definitely agree that the actual depiction of horrors of life on board such a ship, stranded and isolated, crew's fears and starvation, the desolation and harrowing, brutal weather was as scary as anything else of the supernatural conjured up by the author.

Yes. another author I look forward to reading the new novels; although I am now more into alternate history and sci-fi genres mixed with time theme involved. :whistling:

Back