• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Daniel Quinn

RaidofPhantasy

I joined this website today, and I went around looking for people who were reading books by Daniel Quinn. And I found NONE, I am astonished.

:confused: He is legendary.

I've read 1 and 3/4ths of his books. And it's a goal of mine to read all of his books by the end of the year. His first book I read, Ishmael, blew me out of the water. Inviting me to think about things I've never thought of.

If your interested, I find it a waste to explaining what the book is about here, but if your interested in informational/exploring/almost sci-fi novels go to amazon.com and type in Daniel Quinn, Ishmael, or The Holy. Things that will teach you about life, and explore the realm of possibilities. He teaches you, without saying so, about fate, signs, and ...life. So much to explain, and I don't want to babble on.

Daniel Quinn. Go check him out.:eek:

I read Ishmael during senior year of high school. It wasn't required reading, but my anthropology teacher kept recommending it every other class. I'm not sure if I would call Quinn legendary, but I did enjoy Ishmael very much.

Ishmael was pretty good, but it is really an essay thinly disguised as fiction.

I thought the beginning was very captivating, and then the book got a little dry towards the end. Neat idea overall, and I think the specific idea of modern society being a form of captivity in which you can't see the bars of the cage is intriguing.

Ishmael was pretty good, but it is really an essay thinly disguised as fiction.

I agree completely. Ishmael doesn't cut it as literature, and Quinn's writing chops are really pretty weak, but the idea behind the story was quite interesting as ecological philosophy.

This is one of the few books that I have passed on to others with the explicit instruction that after they finish reading it they pass it on to their own friends who might take the message to heart.

I noticed in your profile page that you listed Vikto E. Franfl's Man's Search For Meaning. That book is powerful, very sad and insightful. I have not read in many years. I should re-read it soon. It's a gem.

Back