• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dave Eggers: A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius

lies

I'm currently reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. Some other TBF members have already read it or have expressed an interest in reading it, so maybe a discussion would be nice.

I'm having fun reading it myself, but I've only made it as far as chapter V, so everything's possible. I'm a bit afraid the way the story is written might start bugging me soon, but I guess that can't be helped.

BookMom said:
i'm reading heartbreaking work of staggering genius by dave eggers...he's pretty full of himself, but i'm enjoying it. (source)
Ashlea said:
I read "A Heartbreaking Work" and enjoyed it. It's a very honest memoir. (source)
Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
I absolutely adored AHWOSG, it's a real 'tour-de-force' from an author coming into his prime... (source)
A Heartbreaking Work had me intrigued from the start. I thought the ending was his literal expression of the frustration he felt. It was a cathartic release, n'est pas? (source)
Ou Be Low hoo said:
I read 'A Heart-breaking Work Of Staggering Genius'...although it wasn't as immediately likeable as '[You Shall Know Our Velocity]', it had a depth of emotion that flowed perfectly with the entertainment of the text. As for the ending...it is simply stunning. (source)
novella said:
I started HWOSG, but I put it down, not because the writing was bad, but because I couldn't face that story at that time. (source)
Will you be picking it up again?

I started reading it a few years ago but only got about a quarter of the way through. I can't really remember why. I think it just didn't keep my attention. It's still on my shelf though, waiting for me to pick it up again. Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind at the time. It will be interesting to see what other think and maybe I will get spurred into trying again.

Clara said:
I think it just didn't keep my attention. It's still on my shelf though, waiting for me to pick it up again. Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind at the time. It will be interesting to see what other think and maybe I will get spurred into trying again.
I do think it's the kind of book you can forget easily when you put it down. I mean, I enjoy myself while I'm reading it, but so far, it hasn't been very plot-driven... It's just a bunch of anecdotes thrown together. They're enjoyable, but you don't feel as if you just have to continue reading or you'll go mad. ;)

Back