• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

David Eddings

K-Dawn

Has anyone ever read any books by David Eddings? If so, which is your favourite? Mine is Belgarath the Sorcerer. They're really good.
:D He writes myths which is my favourite genre.

K-Dawn ;)

I liked The Redemption of Althalus but this new series - The Dreamers - is very good, but my favourite has absolutely got to be Belgarath the Sorcerer. It's EPIC!

How did you like the Belgariad and Mallorean series? Those are actually the only ones I've read so far. My dad had to go buy some other books to keep me from reading them over and over and over again.
After I read Belgarath the Sorcerer I tried reading Polgara the Sorceress but I didn't like it.

I've read the Belgariad. Finished all five books in a row. Can't remember too much of it now though.. but I do remember thinking that I wouldn't pick him up again unless it's practically free. :D

Didn't like the princess...

ds

I thought the Belgariad was really well done. It was as believeable as fantasy could get and the reader was expected to swallow too many miraculous coincidences. Belgarath and Polgara were well written as sorcerers. Belgarion was a bit thick headed, I thought. Good story, happy ending. I'm going to pick up Mallorean as soon as I get a chance.

Kheldar, Belgarath, and Beldin were my favorite characters. I like sarcasm if you can't tell.

She was a bit of a nusiance, wasn't she?

:) Yes she was! Oh well, she did add a little spice to Garion's life, which I vaguely remember as quite dull. :)

All I need to do now is find the Mallorean at 1 buck for each book and then I'm off to give Garion and gang another visit (which was how much I paid for the Belgariad, incidentally).

Well, anyway, I preferred Belgariad over Raymond Feist's Magician - anytime.

ds

Aaaahhhh....Happy Memories

The Belgariad was one of the first series I ever read! I'm going to see if I can con my 13-year-old to read "Pawn of Prophecy" this summer (as long as it doesn't interfere with the reading of a certain novel about another magical boy coming out this summer!!!)

I loved reading the Belgariad and I'm not a big sci fi reader. To be perfectly honest, I enjoyed this series much more than Lord of the Rings.

It was one of the first series I read, and it's still my favourite, I'm not very keen on the dreamers series at all though. I saw the first one in town and brought it straight away, but after its quality (which I thought was pretty bad), I've not even looked at the second one

I first read it when I was 12 (3 years ago) and have read it twice more since then, as I thought it was so amazing. All the characters are great, my favourites are Silk, Belgarath and Ce'nedra (who despite her obvious flaws is great).

I read the Mallorean staright after, and loved it too, but I never got into the Tamuli or the Elendium (i think they're the right spellings, might be wrong though). The redemption of Althalus was excellent too

direstraits said:
I've read the Belgariad. Finished all five books in a row. Can't remember too much of it now though.. but I do remember thinking that I wouldn't pick him up again unless it's practically free. :D

ds

She became more bearable in the Mallorean.

Not a fan of Magician? That was the first fantasy book I ever read - it just sort of called to me off the shelf. I loved it. The second one in that series - Silverthorn, is it? - was really great. You get a bit more droll humour from Arutha and Jimmy the Hand. I'd recommend trying it even if Magician wasn't to your tastes.

Has anyone else ever read 'High Hunt'? I found it in a second hand store and bought it out of curiosity as I read it in the front of every Belgarion/Sparhawk book. Very different...

Kookamoor said:
She became more bearable in the Mallorean.

Not a fan of Magician? That was the first fantasy book I ever read - it just sort of called to me off the shelf. I loved it. The second one in that series - Silverthorn, is it? - was really great. You get a bit more droll humour from Arutha and Jimmy the Hand. I'd recommend trying it even if Magician wasn't to your tastes.
Personally, Magician just tweaked all my buttons wrong. :eek: I love magic in my fantasy, but I didn't like how the characters developed (
Pug's warrior buddy, who's practically a kid, gets endowed with special powers, grow big and becomes an Elf queen's consort? Er... somehow I couldn't sit tight with that one...
). I did like bits of it, especially the tension at the announcement of the successor to the throne, but the story just didn't do it for me.

I say, if you haven't already, pick up the Guy Gavriel Kay goodness. Oberon is a convert, and if he reads this he'll tell you all about it. :)

ds

direstraits said:
I say, if you haven't already, pick up the Guy Gavriel Kay goodness.ds

Alright, it's on my TBR - I'll check it out if I can locate it.

I can see your point regarding Tomas... but then it's fantasy, right? Maybe it was just because I read it when I was 14 or so and it endulged my own delusions of grandure. I still love it 11 years later, though. One of my favorite scenes rereading it is
When the two of them are playing on the hay in Crydee and predict where they will end up - Tomas will be the greatest warrior and Pub will be the greatest magician
).

Kookamoor said:
One of my favorite scenes rereading it is
Tomas will be the greatest warrior and Pub will be the greatest magician
).
Ah, I see you've been reading the Beer thread. :D

ds

Ive read the Redemption of Althalus and the first two books in the Belgariad (or is that the Mallorean? Whichever came first at any rate) - enjoyed them quite a lot, he had a very simple writing style, and his ideas were interesting.

Phil

I must admit i cant stand Eddings. I read one or two books of the belgariad and they seemed even worse than Robert Jordans latest works. Standardized fantasy and horrible characters.

What!!

Zolipara! those word are taboo!(at least to me...) ive been reading the belgariad and the Malloreon sice i was about 10 or 11 years old(im thirteen right now) and i loved the series ever since the Pawn of Prophecy. Ive read the series like 5 times but i have yet to end the Seeress Of Kell(always restart on the last two chapters... dont want to finish it, feel like ill lose a friend(or a group of them)) i find that Eddings writes pretty differently from most other authors and his character development is very good. Compare to Tolken(UGHHH!!! I HATE HIM!!) Eddings is UL...or God it matters on ur opinion. The 'princess' SPOILERwhy cant we just say queen or Ce'Nedra...they'll find out anyway... :confused: really does get annoying sometimes, but in the end she gets cooler, for both series'.

Oh, come now. Didn't anyone like the Elenium and the Tamuli series? I read them first off when I was about nine years old and I am still addicted 5 years later. The characters all seem very real to me, well, sort of. I hate Tolken, David Eddings achieved more than Tolken ever did by making the characters seem like everyday people you might run into on the street. I did like Belgarath The Sorceror though, the amount of intricate detail in that book is amazing.

I actually haven't gotten around to reading those series yet. I know I have them in my closet somewhere, but I have a lot of reading to do right now. I'll read them some time soon.

Back