• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dennis Lehane-anyone read his books?

MsBlueEyzz

I have read a few of Dennis Lehane's books. They are the type I can't put down once I start to read them. They have intrigued me from the beginning. Shutter Island was wonderful (in my opinion). I then read a few more and did not realize at first that there was a series with Patrick and Angie. Now I want to go back and read all of his books.
Anyone else like these books?
Anyone dislike them and if so, why?

I like them because of all the twists in them. "I would never have suspected that"...is what has gone through my mind when reading them.

The only one I read was Shutter Island. The movie does a really good job of staying true to the book.

I was pleasantly surprised that it did stay true to the book. I still do prefer the book over the movie though :)
His other books that I have read Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone, Moonlight Mile, and Prayers for Rain are great. Now I plan on reading all of his.
I just thought the twist in Shutter Island was so unique and a great read.

I was pleasantly surprised that it did stay true to the book. I still do prefer the book over the movie though :)
His other books that I have read Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone, Moonlight Mile, and Prayers for Rain are great. Now I plan on reading all of his.
I just thought the twist in Shutter Island was so unique and a great read.

I have Mystic River sitting at home and hopefully will get to it down the road. I like the twist in Shutter Island and I had a feeling that is what was happening the whole time. It's still a very good read though.

I have Mystic River sitting at home and hopefully will get to it down the road. I like the twist in Shutter Island and I had a feeling that is what was happening the whole time. It's still a very good read though.

Shutter Island is one of those books that you know there is going to be a twist as he did give some clues, but I tried not to figure it out. I really wanted to be surprised at the end :) Mystic River is a really good book. I have to say though I think Shutter Island is one of my favorites. Some people have told me they thought it was not as good as his others, but I really took a liking to it :)

I listened to Shutter Island audio last year and really liked it. I plan to read/listen the mystic river in the near future. I have already seen the movie the mystic river a few years back, so I don't know who this would affect my reading experience. I prefer reading the book first. I watched movie shutter island after completed the book.

Read most of Lehane's writings and enjoyed them pretty well. I thought the standouts in the Kenzie series were Darkness Take my Hand and Gone Baby Gone. He also wrote a collection of shortstories that were hit or miss (but when they hit, they hit) called Coronado. I think the best thing he has written to date though is a work of historical fiction called "The Given Day".
He was also a writer on the TV series "the wire".
I think he tells a good story and the characters are usually quite well developed and interesting.

I agree with everyone else that Shutter Island is a great book.

On the strength of Shutter Island, I bought another two of his other novels, Sacred and Darkness Take My Hand at an ex-library book sale in December last year but haven't read either of them yet - they only cost me $1.50 each! Gotta love the ex-library book sales. [Side note: ex-library book sale is on again next weekend... anyone in Brisbane should check it out!]

Based on 753C's comments, I will move Darkness Take My Hand up to the top of my TBR pile.

I listened to Shutter Island audio last year and really liked it. I plan to read/listen the mystic river in the near future. I have already seen the movie the mystic river a few years back, so I don't know who this would affect my reading experience. I prefer reading the book first. I watched movie shutter island after completed the book.

I have not seen Mystic River the movie. I am the same as you though-I like to watch the movie after I read the book :)

Read most of Lehane's writings and enjoyed them pretty well. I thought the standouts in the Kenzie series were Darkness Take my Hand and Gone Baby Gone. He also wrote a collection of shortstories that were hit or miss (but when they hit, they hit) called Coronado. I think the best thing he has written to date though is a work of historical fiction called "The Given Day".
He was also a writer on the TV series "the wire".
I think he tells a good story and the characters are usually quite well developed and interesting.

I think I will have to do what I have before with other authors and make a list of all their books and read them, but put Darkness Take My Hand on the top of the pile :) Thanks for this information, it is quite helpful :)

Live By Night

Live By Night – Dennis Lehane :star3:3/4

Chronicles the life and times of Joseph Coughlin, the youngest brother of the Coughlin family that Dennis Lehane introduced in his 700 + page epic The Given Day. Lehane paints a rich, gritty picture of prohibition era America as Joe transitions from low level Boston bootlegger to outlaw king of the rum trade in Ybor City, Florida. Life is cheap, death is routine, love is found and lost, money is made, betrayal lies around every corner, etc, etc.
I read an interview with Lehane, where he mentioned that the process of writing The Given Day drove him nuts (or words to that effect), and I sympathize. But.... as someone who immensely enjoyed the depth and scope of that novel, at a little over 400 pages this one seemed a little, well, for lack of a better word “light”. I definitely enjoyed it. Lehane has that knack for writing crime fiction. The characters are wonderfully well crafted, and feel authentic. He communicates a sense of place like few other author's in the genre are able to, whether it is Dorchester or Ybor, or wherever. He takes you there. He also possesses a literary prowess that places him light years beyond the crime fiction authors that you normally see stapled to the best seller lists. That said, I liked it quite a bit but I think he left a little meat on the bone. Still the pacing is lightning fast and it is certainly a page turner. I would recommend it.

Back