• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

desperately seeking the name of a book

kkuehn

Back in the early 70's, I had a children's book that I used to LOVE! I cannot remember the name or author of the book, but I would love to be able to possibly find it again, or at least get the name of it. Here is a description of the book, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone remembers it.

A boy lives at home with his family... mom, dad, sisters, brothers, grandparents. He is always making forts or devices out of the things in the house, inventions if you will. His family gets very annoyed with him always 'rigging' the house, so he runs away.

He goes to a clearing in the woods and builds himself a really neat fort. Soon the kids from the neighborhood hear about this special place, and they all run away and join him, each making their own unique fort or treehouse.

In the end, the parents miss the children and beg them to come home. And the little boy who ran away was given permission to make one new invention per week and show it to the family... provided it was done in the basement only.

This is not a chapter book. It's geared for those who cannot read, or early readers. (Say up to 3rd grade) If anyone remembers the name of this book, please let me know asap, it's been driving me crazy for years now.

Thank you for your time.
Kim

Back