• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Diana Gabaldon: A Breath of Snow and Ashes

MonkeyCatcher

A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabladon (2005)

Beginning where The Fiery Cross left off, the latest installment of the Outlander series follows Jamie and Claire as they tackle potentially their biggest threat yet - the American Revolution. A Breath of Snow and Ashes takes place during the years 1772-1776, documenting the struggle all inhabitants of America encountered in the face of a rapidly changing and dangerous new world. Due to Claire's unique knowledge of the future, Jamie knows the outcome of what is initially thought of as a small rebel uprising, and is therefore aware of the need to switch his alliances from the Crown to the future nation-founders. To do so too soon will get him hanged as a traitor, too late and he will be hanged as a Tory in the aftermath of the conflict. Added to this is the looming threat of the death by fire of Jamie and Claire, reported in a newspaper dated January 21, 1776. So far their love has defied time itself, but will it manage to defy fate?

Usually books in a series degenerate as the series continues, and yet the opposite is true in the case of this novel. A huge step-up from the slow-paced and somewhat mediocre The Fiery Cross, A Breath of Snow and Ashes reminded me why I am such a huge fan of Gabaldon and her Outlander series. The pace improved ten-fold, although at times there seemed to be a bit much too much happening. The result, though, was a captivating and compelling read, my interest in these fictional events never wavering, descriptions of historical events and battles included. The relative lack of said battle scenes was also a welcome change, these inevitable portions of her books not something I look forward to, as they tend to be a bit long-winded.

One thing I found lacking amongst all this action was the existance of entirely different and original plot lines. Without giving anything away, I grew sick of the numerous mystery pregnancies, kidnappings, and attacks, these identical plot lines concerning different characters even occuring back-to-back at one point. Not to say that they weren't compelling, I just felt the need for a completely new element to be brought to the mix.
Along the same lines, certain bits of information were often repeated, occasionally by the same characters. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but if so, I feel that Gabaldon should put a little more faith in the memories of her readers, as it became, at times, tedious.

Despite the ending being obviously left open for a sequel, I found it extremely interesting and well-executed. I often feel let down by the ending of books such as this, but this was definitely not the case for this novel. The closure brought to many long-running (ie multiple-book) plots was particularly welcome, and I was particularly fond of the second-to-last chapter - it just seemed so fitting. The imminent sequal looks to be a very interesting one indeed.

Overall, I really enjoyed A Breath of Snow and Ashes. As a fan of Gabaldon's novels, I was particularly thrilled with this return to form following the slightly disappointing The Fiery Cross. I would recommend this novel only to those who have read the previous books in the series; it is by no means a stand-alone novel, as a vast majority of the references to previous works are not expanded upon or explained. This novel therefore requires a relatively good grasp of the people and events contained in the earlier books if you are to truely understand everything that occurs.

While this novel is by no means a literary masterpiece, its compelling plot, well-developed characters and enjoyable writing style propels it to the spot of my favourite read of January, '07.

Bring on more Jamie and Claire! 4.5/5

What did anyone else think of it?

Wow. I'm a bit intimidated by your wonderful review.

I absolutely loved it. I've read this series twice, adding Breath of Snow and Ashes the second time. (I want to be Claire).

Wow. I'm a bit intimidated by your wonderful review.
Thank you :D :D It's extremely funny that you should say that - it was because I told someone else on another forum that I was intimidated by their reviews that I attempted a proper one for the first time for this book.

I absolutely loved it. I've read this series twice, adding Breath of Snow and Ashes the second time. (I want to be Claire).
I've been wanting to re-read the series, as I think that the books would be that much better with knowledge of future events, but i haven't got around to it a) because my TBR list is unbelievably long and b) because of the length of the darn things!

I was really pleased to hear that Gabaldon plans to write two more books - I heard that in the next one she was going to address that ghost that Frank saw staring at Claire at the beginning of Outlander. That will be verra interesting :D

Who doesn't want to be Claire - Jamie is the love of my life (god I hope my bf doesn't see this ;) ) :D.

So, is A Breath Of Snow And Ashes one of those rip off titles based on Martin's A Song Of Ice And Fire?

Very nice review MonkeyCatcher. I am glad this series is not a "romantic" story. Even though it starts with their meeting, there is so much going on around them and in the future that all her books are pageturners.

Next one coming out sometime in 2009.

Why don't you write reviews on all of them?:)

I love this series, only problem is the length of time between new entries. I usually have to at least rescan the previous books when a new one comes out. :D

ok i just wanna know if their is someone in this forum that have this book and could write the part about "god and time"... this is before the begin of the book. like between 1st to 15th pages, something like that.

thx

by the way, I dont speak english so if I made mistake, dont worry :D

later

ok i just wanna know if their is someone in this forum that have this book and could write the part about "god and time"... this is before the begin of the book. like between 1st to 15th pages, something like that.

thx

by the way, I dont speak english so if I made mistake, dont worry :D

later

Knave, it is the Prologue:

"Time is a lot of things people say God is.

There's the always preexisting, and having no end. There's the notion of being all powerful -because nothing can stand against time, can it? Not mountains, not armies.

And time is, of course, all healing. Give anything enough time, and everything is taken care of:all pain encompassed, all hardship erased, all loss subsumed.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Remember , man, that thou art dust; and unto dust thou shalt return.

And if Time is anything akin to God, I suppose the Memory must be the Devil."

and don't worry about the spelling mistakes, I do them all the time.

Back